1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Anyone listen to Van Hunt?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by markjazzbassist, May 15, 2006.

1. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    i got both of his albums and they're great. It sounds like some old school R&B with a little of the new mixed in. He ACTUALLY PLAYS INSTRUMENTS ON THE ALBUMS. On the first record he played mostly guitar and a little bass. On the new record (2nd one) he plays a little bit of everything (guitar, bass, keys, drums). He is the lead vocalist and he sounds really groovy. He has a band too, he's legit man, not like that Usher bull crap. Anyway, I'm going to see him live tomorrow night. Anyone else have the pleasure of listening to him?

2. mrniceguy715

mrniceguy715

May 2, 2006
    oklahoma
    I'm big into van hunt

3. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta (Grant Park!)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Van is great. Randy Jackson is his manager.

4. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    I've seen him live a couple of times and each time he and the Band sounded pretty good.

5. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    I got to see him for free in Prospect Park two years ago. Great stuff.

6. Whoa Usher is tight and his musical director usually assembles the hottest band out there to back Usher (as his music isn't very technically challenging to play).

One thing though, the bass played live is all keyboard bass which sucks but the gospels guys he had formerly on tours with them, stay within the gospel circuit.

7. I didn't know there was more than one CD, but I have the first one and dig it.

8. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta (Grant Park!)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    :confused:

9. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    i just got back from the van show. i said whats up to his bass player, she seemed cool. He puts on a heck of a live show, i mean they did a P-Funk cover and a Marvin Gaye cover. It was hot out the door there. His band was slamming too.