Anyone livin' the cosmopolitan life out there?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Tsal, Feb 6, 2005.

1. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Ah, back to great questions in personal life. I guess this all got started because of the 'Meaning of Life' thread. Well, looks to me I gotta howl a bit.

See, Wikipedia defines cosmopolitan as "an individual who retains cultural roots in his or her country of origin, yet has adopted a wide taste for other cultures, and so lives both a "local" and "global" life."

At 22, halfway through college, it's sortta like seeing multiple paths opening in front of you. And it looks to me as I'm gonna tread one of a cosmopolite, spending years abroad. But spending years in multiple different countries looks to me as it would be impossible to have a normal life: finding a steady girlfriend, starting up a family et cetera.

I don't know, but it would ease my mind if I could talk to someone who has gone through this kind of lifestyle. How could you even handle it? :help:

Perhaps I should get a blog to whine to..
  2. Only

Sep 8, 2002
    Warrensburg, MO
    Just a fair warning, you're going to end up like this guy:

3. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Mmmm... cosmopolitan. My three favorite flavors (vanilla, strawberry, and chocoloate) all in one tasty ice cream treat. Almost as genius as chocolate and peanut butter.
  4. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002

...Neapolitan :eyebrow:
  5. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I thought it was Napoleon.

brad cook
  6. i thought this was going to be about a magizine...
  7. I thought this was a thread about the modern-day term for alcoholics stuck on fancy cocktails....

8. I spent a few afternoons in a Cosmopolitan haze... Can't imagine a Cosmopolitan life...

9. "I know what... women want because.... I read their mail I MEAN... their minds..."
  10. why don't you just make yourself a dang quesadilla?
  11. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Well, my husband and I have lived that life you suggest. We married in the US, but lived abroad for thirty years in Asia, Africa, South America and Southern Europe. That was because of my husband's work which kept us moving every few years.

I had to learn several languages. Both my children were born overseas. We went through a civil war and several failed and successful coups. We developed an appreciation for many different cuisines, climates, cultures.

If you want to be "cosmopolitan" but fear lonliness or isolation, marry before you go abroad and take your wife with you. Another way to avoid isolation is learn the language where you live as fast a you can. Watch their local TV programs and read their local newspapers and magazines.

One thing I have learned is that for the most part only cosmopolitans appreciate and enjoy the company of other cosmopolitans. Even then there is a hierarchy.

For example, if you spent most of your time abroad in Asia, those who lived mainly in Europe will not be so interested in your exploits. Or if you traveled throughout South America, those who lived in the Middle East, for example, will not find you so interesting. Cosmopolitans of a feather tend to flock together.

If you choose this lifestyle, do it for your own personal enrichment and education, not to impress others. Another thing I have learned--some people are extremely well adapted to living abroad, delighting in the travel and enrichment of other cultures. Yet, many people are miserable and begin to long for home in very short order.

I do not see that as a personal failure. I just believe that happiness as a globe trotter derives from core values that include wanting to know how other cultures live, wanting to try their ways yourself and being very open to different values and lifestyles.

Those who do not thrive in such a setting are those whose core values make them more comfortable with what they know and understand, being close to their extended family, and enjoy their own traditions.

Neither way is wrong or right. Believe me, I struggled with homesickness and the frustration of feeling and looking foreign all the time. My husband loved that life, but my sons and I were not such enthusiastic participants.

If you still wish to pursue that lifestyle, the best way to do so is in the diplomatic corps, working for global enterprises or even in the military. Trying to do it independently is far harder, even more dangerous and I wouldn't recommend such an approach.