Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone looking for a house gig?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Bassic83, Dec 15, 2004.

1. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    I have a friend who needs a bass player for a 10-month contract on a cruise ship. Pays $500/week. Leaves out of New Orleans on Jan. 20th. Classic rock band in the mid lounge (inside). You must pass a physical (is your heart still beating, are you drawing breath?) and you will be GONE for the 10 months. Free room and board on the ship, you will have time to get off the ship in port sometimes, but don't miss the boat!!! PM me if interested...

2. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Just a suggestion, this is really a "boat" gig not a "house" gig.

3. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    Fixed the title... :D

4. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    This would be a fantastic job. I remember the owner of Bass101 had a gig on a cruise ship...he was gone for weeks at a time, but made gobs of money.

5. bentem

bentem

Oct 18, 2002
    Rockville, MD
    yeah i remember him , iitnhk he was like musical driectror of a cruiseline.

I went on a cruise last spring break, it seems like a really cool gig. Get free food asdn drinks, make a bunch of money.

6. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    It's still open...step right up, get your cruise ship job here!

7. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    My wife would kill me :D

8. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    That's one of the reasons I didn't take the gig. I didn't want your wife to kill you either... :D

9. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA

Thanks for having my best interest in mind. :D

10. wow, what an amazing job to have!

if it makes it down under.. give me a shout! :D

11. Pause

Pause

Jun 4, 2003
    Miami, FL
    This has always been something that I wanted to do... but my parents would kill me if I took a break from college to do this... I want to play bass

oh yea, PM sent

12. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    Several of y'all have replied, I've talked to my buddy at length about it, I'd take the gig if I didn't have all the responsibilities that I have. My buddy is married with two kids, and he still manages to do it. He says it beats the local scene by a mile! (A nautical mile, at that!)

Extra points for the first person who can tell me how far a nautical mile is...anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

13. kaboom133

kaboom133

Oct 19, 2001
    Latrobe PA
    1852 meters if I remember correct....

Edit: That's about 1 1/8 miles for you Americans.... (wait, I'm American :confused: )Pretty sure those are right, I do know it's one minute, or a 60th of a degree. *announcer voice* and now back to your regularly scheduled thread

14. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    Actually, it's 6000 feet. That's the measure we use when flying, at least. Standard mile comes out 5280 feet. You are correct, sir! I do seem to remember the 1/60th of 1 degree thing as well, from my Naval Science class back in 9th grade... But it's all good...