1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Anyone looking for half a bass on eBay?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Thunderitter, Jul 22, 2007.

1. Thunderitter

Thunderitter Bass - The Final Frontier! Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2007
    USA
    I regularly get a laugh from eBay! Here's a good one from today:

http://cgi.ebay.com/1951-Fender-Pre...7QQihZ014QQcategoryZ64401QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I respect the right for a buyer to market gear as they choose, but we're entitled to laugh at that 'marketing' too!

Is a neck really half a guitar?! Granted a guitar is not a guitar without a neck, but a neck is a neck is a neck!

I wonder how many folks out there have a '51 body looking for a new neck? Can't see anyone else buying this neck and you think from a starting price of $3000 the seller would throw in free shipping! I wonder what happened to the body?

What are your thoughts? What do you think this is worth? I'd say < $1000 and therefore it won't sell.

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Yeah... A marimba player I used to work with had a beautiful 1920 Deagan, worth a fair amount. The row of "white keys" and the row of sharps and flats are each on separate frames. Some junkie stole the sharps and flats, rendering both "halves" worthless. :mad:

3. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    No. :)

4. Standalone

Standalone

Jan 17, 2005
    New Haven
    yes. only the other "half..."

and much cheaper, please!

5. Someone with a '51 with a hopelessly warped neck would probably love the chance to buy it. It would convert an instrument of questionable value into one worth $20,000. That would be well worth the opening bid if it were me.

6. DazzyPig

DazzyPig

Jul 16, 2007
    Birmingham UK
    i dnt think it's sooo bad, probably just someone with a rather dated sense of humor thas'all

7. Does that look like the correct logo for an original 51P?
    No date on the neck either.

To answer the question, emmmm NO!
    Very slim chance of there being a 51p body in need of a neck.

8. Thunderitter

Jun 6, 2007
    USA
    That's what I was getting at: how many of them out there?

9. Only needs to be 1. But, you are right it is likely a very small market.

10. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    +1

The decal looks slightly misplaced to me, but the photos seem to hide something about the headstock, IMHO. I'm not quite sure about the logo itself (can't see it well enough), but IF (and I do mean IF) this IS a genuine '51 neck, it is problematic for several reasons:

1) Finish
    It looks like a refin. Pics are always a problem, but these are weak and not close or clear angles. Worse: The headstock is (IMHO) very sanded-down (note the edges on the back of the headstock. The color is strange, orange like something that is not old nitro.

2) Fingerboard
    No significant wood wear and no dark corrosion bleeding into the wood at the frets near the body. That is almost unheard of in any well-played pre-57 P-bass I have examined. The nut looks too new, though nuts can legitimatley be replaced.

3) The frets are the wrong color wire (yellowish) to my eyes, although I admit a '51 neck can (and should) be legitimately refretted. I do see some fret wear, though. I admit it could be just bad pics...but that is a red flag, too, IMHO.

4) No external evidence to back up the claimed date.
    IMHO, this is deal killer for a vintage bass owner looking for a neck. The seller needs to provide legit info about where this came from, why he is selling, etc., etc.

5) An unstrung neck can not be evaluated for health, IMHO. Truss nuts can be loosened on unstrung necks, and the neck will still look straight.

6) Tuner close-ups, front and back of each one, are essential.

7) Much better decal, nut, heel, and FB close-ups are needed.

If this is not a genuine pre-57 P-bass neck (and it could be), it is probably a refin'd neck from a telecaster or other RI (which would explain the slightly misplaced decal). Better pics!!!!

If it is genuine, the seller should do some homework and get real experts like Gruhn or Elderly to appraise it. A genuine Type One P-bass neck is a significant find for an owner of an old bass with a compromised neck, and could really be worth a lot. However, if it is refinished, redecaled, refretted, and the nut replaced, hmmmmm.....:confused:

No, I'm not in the market for such a neck, my '55 has a very healthy neck, which I keep that way by using lighter gauge strings on it. Doesn't playing it help, too ???? ;) :bassist: ;)

11. Thunderitter

Jun 6, 2007
    USA
    Jim: excellent post, very informative. I've learned a lot today!

12. basspraiser

basspraiser Jammin for the Lamb! Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2006
    Chicago - NW Burbs
    That is why he is "THE Dr."....

I learned alot too!

13. xlows

xlows

Oct 21, 2006
    Minnesota
    That neck had to come from somewhere, eh?

14. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    I'll get that and an SX and swap necks...yeah...that's the ticket.

15. Jim Carr

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Somewhere, there IS a sad little p-bass body, looking for it's neck... :D

BTW guys, thanks for the kind words. All the above was just my opinion. I have owned a bunch of older basses along the way, and played and looked at a lot of them, too. I admit I am skeptical about old fender parts, old fender basses, and old fender parts basses, which we all see a lot of. I guess evil-bay selling is too tempting at times, causing some ordinarily decent folks to try to pass off old junk as gold (all hail P.T. Barnum). No, I'm not shocked, but it is entertaining....:smug:

I once bought an old P-bass neck, that wasn't quite what it claimed to be, and until RSguitarworks refinished, planed the FB, refretted, and generally restored it, it was something of a disappointment...:p

Maybe cuz of that traumatic evil-bay experience, I am just too dang sensitive...
    yeah, that's it......Naw! Heck!!! :D :D :D

16. Very slim chance of there being another 51p body in need of a neck.

:)

The original body was amputated in order to save the neck. It was the only thing they could do to save it.

17. Jim Carr

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    One has to wonder what DID happen to the rest of the bass, whatever vintage it may be. Is it going to be parted out? Is it butchered so the seller wants to sell the unbutchered bits? Is it a neck the seller got from another dealer who got it from another dealer who got if from another dealer? :confused:

After all:

Great fleas have little fleas upon their backs to bite 'em,
    And little fleas have lesser fleas, and so ad infinitum.
    And the great fleas themselves, in turn, have greater fleas to go on;
    While these again have greater still, and greater still, and so on.

-Augustus De Morgan, paraphrasing none other than Jonathan Swift!

:D