Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone lost a fingernail?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by ole Jason, Oct 29, 2003.

1. ole Jason

ole Jason Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Louisville, KY
    My right index finger lost a fight with a car door last friday. Luckily it's not broken and I got the blood drained from underneath the nail but I'm still betting on it popping off anyday now. Anyone know how long it typically takes to grown one back out? Argh this is killing me.

2. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.
    I knocked off a thumbnail years ago when I decided it would be a cool idea to stop a fan from spinning with my bare hands. Took about 3 months for the nail to fully come back.

The doctor said it nomally takes 4-6 months depending on age and nutrition. They grow out around 0.1 mm a day.

3. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2000
    Cleveland, OH.
    I lost one as a mechanic at a bicycle shop (lousy, cheap, crappy bikes). I didn't get it drained and it swelled and got all gross and I finally had to dig out the clot... it was gross.

It's still growing back all weird and it's been quite a while, but I have been assured they come back to normal. I was gigging on it 2 days after it happened and felt fine a week after, even with the swelling. Bear in mind, this was my fretting pinky!

Just keep playing, you'll get used to it soon enough.

4. Victor Wooten98

Victor Wooten98 Guest

Jul 31, 2003
    South of Heaven...
    I never lost a finger nail, but I always get mine split right down the middle, it hurts like hell.

5. jaggedsphere

jaggedsphere

Jul 15, 2002
    Ottawa
    OMG thats so dumb! But alas I did something similar once....My mum bought a new handblender when I was younger(old enuf to know better!!) I wanted to see how strong the motor was......well u get the idea :meh: it bled bad did not really hurt that much but it did take a month or so to go back to normal...oh yhe things we do just to 'see if I can' :p

6. Boozy

Boozy

Apr 29, 2002
    Kelowna BC, Canada
    i have lost fingernails yes, but i have nothing intellegent or helpfull to offer or suggest so i will stop right here. lol.
    ...i did however break my right hand index fist-knuckle once.. it sucks cause now my right hand index finger is set further into my hand making my right index finger about 1/2" or so shorter than my left index finger... its taken a long time to adjust fingerstyle.. let me tell you!! it sucks.

7. I lost a couple of finger nails when I was a kid. Your finger looks super weird without a nail, but I got a lot of ice cream out of the deal. :D

I remember reading in a trivia book that on average, a lost finger nail takes about 120 days to grow back to clipping length.

You'll be O.K.

Mike

8. bentem

bentem

Oct 18, 2002
    Rockville, MD
    I Fell over the summer, well more of stumbled, and my toenail ripped off, and it still hasent fully grown back, but it looks much better. It was a good conversation peice:D