1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Anyone Lost a Gig Because They Didn't Have a Fender?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jasper383, Aug 15, 2007.

1. jasper383

jasper383 Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2004
    Durham NC
    I have a couple method books that recommend everyone have a J or P bass, and say that some engineers, managers, etc. insist on Fender Basses.

Has not having a Fender cost anyone a job?

2. mark beem

mark beem I'm alive and well. Where am I? Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    Alabama, USA
    I've never lost a gig because of it personally, but I can understand why that would happen.

3. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    No.

4. bluestarbass

bluestarbass

Jul 31, 2007
    Indianapolis
    I had a band refuse to get me a gig without a pbass. It was a good gig so I went out and bought one. Couldnt be happier, I now know why people require it.

5. pointbass

pointbass Jersey to Georgia Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    There are very few opportunities for the average bassist to be doing studio work, and the number of available dates gets reduced each year. Unless you are heavily into studio recording work, the brand of bass you play will not matter.

If a business manager thinks you have to use a Fender, it would be interesting to hear his/her rationale. Unless you have a very strict business relationship that requires you play very specific brand instruments, it doesn't matter what you play.

The average day-in, day-out gigging bass players use all kinds of basses. A Fender is always nice to have, but definitely not a requirement ...... ;)

6. DanielleMuscato

DanielleMuscato

Jun 19, 2004
    Columbia, Missouri, USA
    Endorsing Artist, Schroeder Cabinets
    I have a standing offer that if a producer really prefers a Fender to my Line6 Variax in a blind listen, I'll do the session for free. Despite A/Bs with a '64 Fender P, no one has taken me up on it yet.

In my experience, most engineers & producers are thrilled when they see my Line6 bags. No noise and I can change from rounds to flats to a Jazz to a Ric to a Stingray to an MTD etc instantly, without keeping a collection of basses tuned & set up, adjusting for different outputs, etc. It saves a lot of time in the studio and IME producers and engineers are all about that!

"Okay, for the bass... Variax... alright. You plug in here. Okay, now for the drums..."

7. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin'

Nov 22, 2004
    Deep E Texas
    No...but if I ever had 5 simultaneous gigs, the Carvin'd have to go to #5, and that might be a problem.

If I ever had 5 simultaneous gigs.

Or if somebody said I couldn't play without a Fender. Did it for 30+ years without ever hearing a remark about it. The worst comment I got was when some drunk asked if my natural ash/maple fingerboard L2000 was a Peavey, and I had to kill him.:D

8. Bassflute

Bassflute

Jun 24, 2006
    Vancouver
    Endorsing Artist: MTD basses and strings; Bergantino Amps & Cabs
    but I can't. Stupidest, most macho-bull**** thing ever. And like half of those morons could actually hear the difference. It's like the Harley 'mystique' thing, they are the BEST motorcycles ever (not even close) or Corvettes, etc. Totally dumb, macho, stupid, and ignorant.

Cheers,
    Cameron

9. mark beem

Jul 20, 2001
    Alabama, USA
    It doesn't matter what his/her rationale is. He's writing the checks so he makes the call.. It's not YOUR gig, it's his and if you're not willing to use a certain bass when the gig calls for it, it'll go to someone else who will..

10. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    Never. Seems like everybody is overjoyed to see a Rickenbacker.

11. stingray56funk

stingray56funk Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2005
    Atlanta
    I have had gigs where they wanted me to have (this was in Nashville) something other than my Zon Sonus 4 or Yamaha TRB-6p. Luckily I had an old 1983 Squire Jazz MIJ (shouldn't have sold it!) that was $200 that I used when that happened. I loved to play that jazz but I wanted to tell them to shove it up their A** pipe...but then they had money too...so I didn't!

12. I have never found a shortage of ignorant musicians in my area. It has happened to me before. My custom shop Peaveys were inferior to a MIM Fender. :rolleyes: I also had 1 too many strings.

13. pointbass

pointbass Jersey to Georgia Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    Hence, the reason I said "Unless you have a very strict business relationship that requires you play very specific brand instruments ... ". If somebody won't pay me unless I have a certain type of gear, that, to me, would qualify as a strict business relationship ... ;)

.... and I'd still like to hear them explain their reasoning ... :D

14. mark beem

Jul 20, 2001
    Alabama, USA
    Ah, ok... Didn't quite get your meaning there.. ;)

Edit: Need more coffee!! :D

15. Double Agent

Double Agent Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    First of all, I love Fenders. I think they are great and I have been able to get wonderful tone out of every single one I've ever picked up, except for some of the low end MIM models I've played.

But, I do not understand the rationale that "it has to be a Fender or else". Thats like telling an artist to paint you a picture with only one color. No one ever tells guitar players what to use. Bring your PRS, Parkers, LPs, & Strats. There are tons of great basses out there (Dingwall, Music Man, & Lakland are a few of my favorites) that sound great live AND recorded.

I think what it is, is the engineers can be lazy beasts when it comes to bass guitars. Live FOH can be lazy too (just plug into this $20 Behringer DI, I don't care how nice your amp is), but moreso in the studio. They spend so much time on vox, guitars, and drums that its like they feel they can take a vacation when it comes to bass. Plug in a P-bass, put the EQ in its usual place and start recording.

I still say if you are a hired hand, you should have at least 1 Fender in the stable just in case. As many as 3 might be needed. But, if you are in a band and a certain bass (Spector, Warwick, Modulus, etc.) gives you YOUR sound, then you should insist on using your bass. There are good engineers out there that will work with you and aren't just punching a time card that you shouldn't have to waste your energy working with someone who doesn't give a flip. And if your band can't understand that, ask the gui**** how he'd feel if he was told which instrument to play and not given any say-so in how they turned out in the final mix. I think most would have a problem with that. So why are bass players forced to do this?

16. cetera

cetera

Apr 29, 2004
    Surrey, England
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses & Cort Basses
    Nope, never....

For fretted dates I use a Spector and for fretless I use either a Pedulla or Wal. All three get huge thumbs up and sighs of relief from engineers/producers....

With the DI's/FX units/modelling programmes around these days there's no sound you can't get anyway....

17. DanielleMuscato

DanielleMuscato

Jun 19, 2004
    Columbia, Missouri, USA
    There are a few cases where I would understand if the manager etc wanted one specific instrument over another. If I were playing in a U2 tribute band, I can understand the manager insisting on a P bass - but only if he also insisted that I get a buzz cut, grow 9 inches, lose 50 pounds, and wear glasses!

If I were backing up a Fender clinician like Greg Koch, I could also understand the requirement for Fender gear.

If I were playing in a bluegrass band, rockabilly or jazz group, I can certainly understand the requirement that I play double bass.

If I were in a punk band, I could understand someone saying, "Don't play your MTD 5-string here."

On the commercial side of things, this business is *very* much about image. Can you imagine someone like Sid Vicious playing a Fodera?

- Dave

18. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    Nope, but I did have a studio guy tell me what bass to use, which pissed me off, because I was paying him to record me, not vice-versa. And what did he want me to use? My '91 L-2000. But I wanted to use my pre-EB Stingray. Both nice basses IMO, but apparently Stingrays suck, according to him. Suffice it to say, we didn't use him on our second cd.

19. DanielleMuscato

DanielleMuscato

Jun 19, 2004
    Columbia, Missouri, USA
    A friend of mine is a world-renowned watercolor artist (youngest person to ever be inducted into the AWS, his paintings sell for up to $500k). When someone commissions a painting with a $50k deposit, if they wanted him to use a specific color scheme, do you think he'd say "no?"

And it's VERY MUCH not true that no one ever tells guitar players what to use! Why, just two days ago in a session, the producer, in the middle of a take, walked up to the guitar player, said, "Don't mind me," unplugged the Thinline Tele he was playing and plugged in another Thinline Tele (this one with humbuckers) and handed it to the guitarist, telling us "Keep going, keep going."

- Dave

20. Visirale

Visirale

Mar 23, 2003
    Orlando
    I can understand a "Fender styled bass" or no gig. The producer is going for a certain sound. If he wants a P bass vibe, don't show up with a modulus flea. These basses have very characteristic sounds that are tried and true. I could understand fender being the lowest required... I couldn't see a producer telling you to go get a fender J if you bring in a sadowsky...