1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Anyone Love Their Tone But Hate Their Setup?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Let It Fall, Apr 27, 2010.

1. Let It Fall

Let It Fall Banned

Oct 15, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    I haven't been here in a while, probably because I found a tone I LOVED and decided I would PLAY bass.

Anyways I have been through a number of amps... And Cabs, and it got a little expensive towards the end, but Im in love with my sound now.

Heres what I owned in the past.

GK400RB [first amp] Hated it, but didn't really know what tone was.. Plus I was playing through a Avatar 2x10

Ampeg B2-RE Ehh, Didn't care for it, probably because I still didn't know what tone was and was trying to get a Pete Wentz tone [I know, still love the tone, whoever ACTUALLY plays FOBS bass] and Flea in one set up. With a P bass and a 2x10

Gallien Krueger 1001rb-ii Tons of power, still searching for a tone I wanted and couldn't quite get it with this amp, though I used it with the Avatar 2x10 first then the ampeg 8x10, got much closer with the second cab.

Markbass LMII Sounded GREAT almost perfect, with the Aguilar DB112 AND AMPEG 8X10. LOVED IT, but felt it looked quite silly ontop of the 8x10

Decided I wanted matching brand gear, and after using a Aguilar DB112 and LOVING it decided aguilar was a nice brand.
    Tested the DB750 and the ag500 at a local store. Decided the DB750 was more of the sound I wanted [sounds good by its self] and fell for the hype I found here on the forum for it. And of course I needed a bigger cab so I went ahead and bought a NEW DB212.

Stragely enough after dumping so much money into a set up and HATING, HATING HATING HATING it [I blame the head and would like to give aguilar another shot with the ag500] I sold it took my losses and went foreign.

I LOVE European vehicles and GUITAR amps so I decided of course the ORANGE AD200B Would sound GREAT. It was, eh. Very Very EH. It looked AMAZING, but the sound did nothing at all for me and decided it was NOT worth the money so it went too.. At the time I was using the Bands AMPEG 4X10. Looked great, sounded EH.

Decided I would go back to the best sound I had before with the ampeg 8x10 and the markbass but found a genz benz 600w amp for super cheap [B-stock] and bought it. Picked up a ampeg 8x10 the same day. Oh and bought a VT pedal. WITH money left over from selling the Orange.

Well my tone is finally PERFECT. I was going for a svt-cl sound and almost bought one, but wanted to run more than 4 ohms eventually.

The Genz Benz sounds even better than the markbass I mean its perfect. And thats before the VT pedal. With it, I don't think it could get any better. I use it with my stingray and LOVE the natural highs, that I could never seem to find in another amp, that this amp puts out. Its perfect growly not too bright not to dark I LOVE IT.

This is leaving out the many basses I have owned while in the search.

Point is, its just that something missing. The 8x10 is simply HUGE. and the shuttle 6.0 is SO tiny. I love it for its size but miss toting something that could actually be racked.

I have always wanted to try Ashdown [love european anything] but would hate to loose this perfect sound.....

I KNOW I KNOW BRING ON THE :rollno::rollno::rollno::rollno::rollno:'S

2. tallboybass

tallboybass Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2003
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Don't mess with your sound!!! The Shuttle 6.0 is rackable....just get the rackmount kit for it, maybe a tuner and something else to put in there (a brick?) to keep it from vibrating off the cab and BE HAPPY!!!

3. xjeremiahx

xjeremiahx

Apr 19, 2009
    Chicago, IL
    No longer a slave to GC.
    me!
    sunn 300t - overdriven to helllllll
    SWG 6x10 - OOOOOOMMMMPPPHHHHH

it's all just so heavy :( makes a day of jamming REAAALLLLLLY labor intensive...

sigh

4. My little mark ii loves to sit on top of my 8x10. :spit:

5. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    about the only gear i own i could say that about is my p lyte. great sound now that i put qp's on it, but makes me feel like a real homo douche to admit to playing a bass with the word "lyte" in the name. the worst moment came when suzi quatro, who was 57 at the time and maybe 5'1" at best, gave me a funny look when i told her. i wanted to crawl into a hole. i should have lied.

6. you asked for 'em
    :rollno::rollno::rollno::rollno::rollno::rollno: :rollno::rollno::rollno::rollno:
    ;)

My LMII looks 'OK' on the NV215 & doesn't 'look' great on the AE112- but the sound........... so I'll change the colour
    :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

7. minmei

minmei

Apr 1, 2010
    NorthLA
    I thought the name of the game was to find "THE TONE" with what ever set up you could get your hands on. You've found "THE TONE" and now you don't like your set up?

But I totally understand, sometimes you look for something and then quest until you find it, and then wonder, 'Ok, I want more . . .'

8. badboy1984

badboy1984

Mar 27, 2007
    United Kingdom
    Sometimes is best to stay with what you like till you actually know what you really want. The GAS list will never go so just think twice before doing anything .......

I'm like that alot of times, thinking about buying new head, new cab, bass and pedals but end up i selling the stuff i bought and stick with the old stuff instead .....

9. I've had numerous rigs over the years, and have to say I could always dial in a sound that made me happy. I'm using a Phil Jones Suitcase and an Orange Tiny Terror with an OBC115 and an SP212 right now, and I love the tones I'm getting. I upgaded from my GK and SWR rigs just because I liked the sound of the new rig better. It's also much easier to lug around.

10. T. Alan Smith

T. Alan Smith Guest

Sep 9, 2001
    I'm just the opposite- I like my setup but my tone is meh.
    I know I don't want to change my Berg HT112 but there's gotta be a better head to match with it than my LMII. I loved the DB750 with it, but for obvious reasons I'm still looking. :D

11. four bass cabinets, essentially copied from a Westlake studio monitor design, each a 1-15 Gauss, in a 5 cu. ft box, a modded Yamaha PB1 and a big Crown power amp. Huge rig, but about halfway up, it had this wonderful sweet spot - clean, clear as a bell, punchy, filling.

Ah, roadies ........

12. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    Stumbled on a Peavey BAM 210 a couple years ago. Extend it with a Carvin 115, and I'm good to go.

13. BFISHER1970

BFISHER1970 Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2005
    Pensacola, Florida
    Build a head cabinet to hold the Genz. SVT sized box with cutout in the front for the face of the Genz......problem solved :)

14. smcgov

smcgov Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2010
    Northshore Mass
    one of the best tones I've ever gotten was with a Peavey 4x12 celestion guitar cabinet driven by an old marshall solid state head through a rickenbacker with an EMG and Duncan in it...people raved about my tone, but then GK and Hartke came out so I had to "get current"...although that setup did sound pretty good...the 800Rb through those aluminum cones sounded good.

15. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    Get an old microwave oven and drill holes in the back of it and keep the head in there-it'll be interesting and entertaining.

16. THand

THand

Jun 9, 2008
    Just tell 'em it's a Zone...close enough. ;)

17. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    lol! good idea!

18. eyeballkid

eyeballkid Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2009
    Those Ashdown EVOIIs fit the description of the tone youre now lovin!!.. and without the VT pedal!.. I will play mine till it dies... and thatll be a looooooooooooooooooong time from now.

19. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    There is nothing like being totally in love with your sound. For me, that package includes an Aguilar DB750 + DB115. Every bass I put through that rig just makes me smile. I don't hate this setup, however. The opposite, in fact.