Anyone made a ramp for a Sterling?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by superfly, May 30, 2005.

1. superfly

Aug 4, 2004
    I'm thinking of making a ramp for my Sterling so I can get alittle closer to the neck with my playing fingers.
    I'm thinking 1/4" thick poplar (Lowes), and then painting it black to match my black pickguard.

Has anyone here made one for a Sterling? Any tips?

2. bassclef112

bassclef112 Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2003
    New York City, NY
    I put an extended finger rest on mine. I used a clear Plexiglass bar with the edge lined up with the pickup - held to the body with 3 screws for a solid connection (and in case I ever want to remove it), covered with a lightly glued piece of black plastic so that it blends in. You could cover it with a piece of matching pickguard material.
    Since I've put it on I have found myself reaching for this bass more often. More tones and added flexibility.
  3. sethlow3

sethlow3 Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Nashville, Tennessee
    I strongly reccommend to learn to mute the strings as you play with the thumb of your right hand.

more here

this totally changed my playing. I am more relaxed now and can play on any area of the bass without an ugly ramp.
  4. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    He didn't ask to have the merits of a floating thumb technique explained to him, he asked about anyone who had added a ramp to a Sterling.

A technique that works for Adam Nitti and many others might be totally useless or counter-intuitive to others.

I modified the technique for myself and combine "floating thumb" with traditional anchored thumb playing. You won't see me suggesting that anyone else try it because what works for me could hinder another player.
  5. superfly

Aug 4, 2004
    I just want a way to play fingerstyle about an inch or so closer to the neck for a fuller sound. Sometimes playing over the pickup all the time seems to limit the sounds available.
  6. sethlow3

sethlow3 Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Nashville, Tennessee

okay????? Just trying to help. I have taught many students that same method and it helps tremendously. I have noticed a HUGE difference in my playing since I have adopted this. Why get so defensive????

If it hinders you, so be it, but I promise after picking up this simple habit it helps you out in multiple ways.

1) You can play closer to the neck for a fuller sound or bridge or anywhere else that you couldn't rest on a pickup.

2)You would never have to hyper extend to play on the g string. The technique makes any higher notes you play MUCH more comfortable. Even Adam has a great point in that your hand naturally is C shaped when its relaxed. Try playing the G string without doing the technique and you will always hyper extend. You'll get more of a D shape

3) Your sound will change. You will tend to sound more balanced on all strings.

4) The noise from adjacent strings will completely cease.

5)No ugly ramps or thumb rests which aren't on all basses.

Honestly I don't mean to offend only to help. Look, if you try that technique for an entire month and really try to adopt it, then I promise you all of these advantages are worth the temporary thought process.