1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Anyone make a 6 string bass E-E?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by telemike, Jul 9, 2003.

1. telemike

telemike

Jul 7, 2003
    Anyone make a 34" scale six string bass strung E to E like an electric guitar? :confused:

2. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Lots of companies have made baritone guitars. Fender.

3. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Indianapolis, IN
    Danelectro Long Horn
    Fender VI
    Elrick Baritone
    Jerry Jones...

Tons of them out there, but I would just get a 34 or 35 inch Six string bass and buy the gauge of string that would allow you to do that on a larger scale. A proper set up is needed though. The notes will come out clean with the additional length, oppose to bari's that tend to sound brittle or muddy... IMO

4. Fender did a japanese reissue of their 6 string bass a few years ago, with a 30" scale and 6 strings tuned E-E. Other brands have done the same thing, mostly 30" scales. Danelectro did one (discontinued now but probably still about), musicman do the silhouette, OLP do a budget version of it the MM5, Burns have just anounced that they are doing a baritone/ 6 string bass the barracuda. These are the main ones I am aware of. If you are looking for a longer scale length with that tuning I am not aware of any production models that fit the bill, thats not to say there aren't any, just that I have not seen them.
    Hope this is some help.
    :)

5. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    If you want higher notes, why not go E - A - D - G - C - F, keeping the consistent tuning in fourths across the strings?

If you simply want something you can play like a guitar but get a lower sound, an octave pedal and a guitar might be better...

Wulf

6. Just get a standard 6-string bass and a custom string set. :)

Edit: I think John Turner tunes his 7-strings B-E-A-D-G-B-E (like a 7-string guitar but one octave lower).