1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Anyone making a good rechargeable clip-on tuner?

Discussion in 'Accessories [BG]' started by Low8, May 31, 2018.

1. Low8

Low8 Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2014
    Subject line says it all... any thoughts?

Sure, lots of folks make a tuner with an auto shut-off, but I'm sick of shucking out money on CR2032 batteries! It's absurd, especially in today's day and age of rechargeable mobile phone batteries!

So I'm wondering if someone's using the same technology in a clip-on tuner.

Thanks!

2. Clipped

Clipped

Aug 9, 2014
    Jersey
    I bought two Intellitouch rechargeable at Christmas (one for me and one for my nephew). Holds a charge well. Very pleased so far.

3. Aidil

Aidil

Dec 4, 2014
    Jkt, IDN
    Which clip-on tuners do you use?

Sorry for not answering the question, but I haven't changed any batteries in my Planet Waves NS Micro tuners ever since I got them in 2015.

4. JakobT

JakobT

Jan 9, 2014
    Oslo, Norway
    There are offerings from Intellitouch and Joyo, but they seem to me to be something of a solution in search of a problem. Most clip-on tuners today have auto-shutoff, which makes the batteries last for years. I have yet to change the batteries on any of my current clip-on tuners, the oldest of which is almost four years old now. With a rechargeable tuner you’re out of luck if it suddenly goes dead during a gig. And the charging cable will probably be about eight inches long, and will inevitably go missing at the first available opportunity. Whereas with a normal tuner you can just pop in a new battery when the old one gives up the ghost, and be ready to go in seconds.

5. BassikLee

BassikLee Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 13, 2004
    Deltona, FL
    Owner: Brevard Sound Systems
    I could see them coming in handy

6. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    clip-on tuners are low-drain items, so rechargeable kinda doesn't make sense. half the time rechargeables drain faster sitting in the case than regular batteries in low-drain devices do while being used.

that's why you want rechargeables in your wireless (drained in one gig) but not in your bass (drained in a year of use).

JakobT likes this.
  7. Low8

Low8 Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2014
    Funny you should mention those... because the ones that I'm using are the Planet Waves NS Micros. I'm changing the batteries at least once a year... which in my opinion, is way too much for as often as I'm using them.

8. Aidil

Aidil

Dec 4, 2014
    Jkt, IDN
    Owh... As mentioned, I haven't changed any batteries in mine since I got them in 2015, so it has been ± 3 years. Seems that I'm not using mine as often as yours. Maybe it's because I have a bunch of clip on tuners and some other tuners, so the usage per tuner is relatively much lower.

And lately I prefer to use Planet Waves Eclipse clip-on tuner than the NS Micro tuners.

9. friskinator

friskinator Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2007
    Georgia
    My Snark clip-on seems to eat batteries quickly. And it barely gets used. I'm using Ikea batteries, so maybe that's the problem? Although I use their batteries for everything else around the house with good results, so who knows?

10. JakobT

JakobT

Jan 9, 2014
    Oslo, Norway
    I use IKEA batteries for most things as well, and have had few problems. They don't last quite as long as Duracells, so I would expect to change them a little more often, but nothing really significant. Maybe there's a problem with your Snark?

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 16, 2021