1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Anyone making a neck through P bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Sharko, May 29, 2012.

1. Sharko

Sharko

Jun 18, 2009
    Washington, DC
    And I'm not talking a neck through bass with a P pickup, I mean a P shaped bass that is neck through.

If not, would I be able to make one using a Carvin neck through kit and a pawn shop P bass?

2. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    It wouldn't be a P bass.
    It would be bass with a P style pick up.
    If it doesn't say Fender somewhere on the headstock, It isn't a P bass.

3. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks I build Grosbeak Guitars and Basses Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    Grosbeak Guitars
  4. Sharko

Sharko

Jun 18, 2009
    Washington, DC
    1) I said I wanted a P shape, not a p pickup
    2) Tell that to all the lakland/schecter/squier players out there

superpanget2 likes this.
  5. Sharko

Sharko

Jun 18, 2009
    Washington, DC
  6. BillMason

BillMason

Mar 6, 2007
    Semantics... Pretty much everyone considers a P shape body with one P pickup a P bass regardless of manufacturer. It's not a "Precision", but it's a P bass. When it comes to language and word choice, if most of the people using the language consider it so, then it is so. "Ain't" in fact *is* a word which means a contraction of "am not," despite what grammarians say about it, and also despite what grammarians say, a preposition is just fine to end a sentence with. So P bass it is.

7. [​IMG]
    I made one in school. Seymour duncan quarter pound P / J w OBP-2 preamp, 9V.
    It produces pretty good tone even with P only.
    Maple / Mahogany Strip neck.

8. J Gold

J Gold Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Houston,TX
  9. WoodyG3

WoodyG3

May 6, 2003
    Colorado, USA
    Just like Kleenex isn't Kleenex unless it says Kleenex on the box. But, I still call all tissue Kleenex, 'cause that's what we called all tissue when I was a kid. And, I call my Lakland Duck Dunn a P-Bass, even though Lakland can't call it that legally. ;)

IMO, the Carvin LB70 isn't really close to a Precision body. It certainly feels different to me ergonomically, too. It's a great body style, though, and I wish Carvin offered P style pickups!

10. I would think that making a P-bass as a neck-thru would change the bass too much to retain any of it's "P-ness" (LMAO!!).

Think about it. A neck-through's neck and headstock angle is totally different than a bolt-on. Plus the headstock angle would change things too.

IMO, you could make a neck-thru that LOOKS like a P, but it would have a completely different feel, and possibly sound.

I may be wrong, just my distorted early morning thoughts.

11. WoodyG3

WoodyG3

May 6, 2003
    Colorado, USA
    Just because it's a neck through doesn't mean it has to be a tilt back headstock. Look at the Fernandes link above, and you'll see a neckthrough with Fender style headstock, string retainer and all. :)

There is no reason the neck profile would necessarily have to be different, either.

12. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    +1

It's funny how even though everyone knows what the OP is talking about, there's always someone that wants to argue. :rollno:

13. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Well to each their own, but all a neck-thru ever did for me was add sustain, and I'm not a big sustain nut by any means. But if you want one bad enough, a custom builder will be happy to build one for you.

14. smcd

smcd

Jun 28, 2009
    Boston, MA
    +1

15. ShiftyShift

ShiftyShift

Mar 12, 2012
    I'm surprised there aren't many, as its one of the most famous body styles. And, yes, you COULD use the Carvi neck-through neck to build a neck through with a pawn shop P-Bass, But its a lot easier to glue wings to the neck through and cut out your own P-Bass

16. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    seibass have made a couple.

17. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009
    Say wait a minute. I've got a P-bass. And it doesn't say Fender on the headstock. It seems to say Squier up there. And I KNOW it's not a Fender because it's a 5 string PJ and Fender doesn't make those.

18. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009
    This is going to be tough unless you can find a maker that sells one. As far as I know Carvin kits are bolt-on. In fact bolt-on P-bass kits and parts are all over the place. So getting a P-bass body is simple. The problem is that all the P-bass necks out there are bolt on. And the neck, string spacing etc. of the P-bass is what makes it the wonder it is. So you'd somehow have to duplicate the dimensions of a bolt-on P-bass neck in a longer neck-through piece of wood. That's the problem. You can buy a neck-through neck (say from Carvin) but it won't duplicate the P-bass dimensions.

See what I mean?

19. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    I know for a fact that Chris Stambaugh would build you one.

Busby likes this.
  20. Korladis

Korladis Inactive

I've played a Yamaha PJ bass that was neck through. Very nice bass. No tilt-back headstock.

On a similar subject, does anyone make a neck through bass that's shaped like a jazz bass and has the same pickup configuration?