Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone mix Acme with non-Acme cabs?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Melvin7822, Jun 12, 2004.

1. Melvin7822

Melvin7822 Supporting Member

May 11, 2004
    Broomfield, CO
    I'm beggining to think it's only a dream. It's almost impossible to get a good mix between an Acme and a non-Acme. Anybody have success with this?

2. Sure, no problem here. Combined an Acme 2x10 with a SWR 4x10, using a Carvin DCM 1000 in parallel stereo. My main goal was to add clarity (rather than loudness) and to "descoop" the SWR.

Worked great and with the coupling effect of stacking the cabs I actually ended up with a rig that seemed as loud as pumping the whole 700 watts (8 ohm) bridged into the SWR. Huge sound and much cleaner.

3. Ericman197

Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Iowa
    For the time being I'm using a Low B-2 with an Avatar 2x12. Basically, the Low B fills out the highs and lows while the Avatar supplies the loudness and punch. It works out ok, but not great.

4. chiplexic

chiplexic

Apr 21, 2004
    Massachusetts
    Often wondered if the LowB2 W cab would be better for this use since it is only there for the low end and the 2-10" or 4-10" could take care of all the mid on up. Plus $ savings between the B2 vs. B2W. An amp with individual volume controls for each channel may be necessary

5. Chaputa

Chaputa Bass-Not just fo eatin anymore

I'm using a GK 410sbx w/ a B2, and it works beautifully. The GK is a little mid heavy and punchy, and the B2 rounds out the bottom end. Very nice...and don't need a 15 or 18 to carry with the 4x10. I've got it set up Joe Atlanta w/ a stereo power amp powering the two cabs, w/ 340 going to the gk and 570 to the B2.

6. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    i tried my old Acme 2x10 w/ an Aguilar 1x12, and the tones were sooo nice.

awesome low B slam from the Acme with a sweet top end, while the aguilar gave everything a killer low middy grunt.

7. Melvin7822

May 11, 2004
    Broomfield, CO
    For any of you that have done this, have you used your setup for rock?

8. Melvin7822

May 11, 2004
    Broomfield, CO
    Another problem I have right now with the Acme is that it clips more easily when I send a fullrange signal to it then if I just send the lows. I would love to use it fullrange, but it just clips too easily.

9. Ericman197

Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Iowa
    If by full range material you mean a CD, then the Acme would not be able to handle it. The Acme's are meant for bass guitar, so if you wanted to use them for a PA, you'd be better off with a lot of B-2's or B-1's where you have an adequate amount of midrange/tweeter coverage.

10. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    IME, I tried mixing a B1 and an EA vl-110, both in the same channel of a mono head. The B1 was 4 ohms, and the EA 8 -- so the B1 was getting twice the power. The head did not like the 2.6 ohm load (despite the specs - thanks Acoustic Image), so I unplugged the Acme. It didn't sound much different. I think it might have been different with adequate power though. The Acme's just don't seem to get going with less than 200w per 10.

11. Melvin7822

May 11, 2004
    Broomfield, CO
    I don't mean full range material. I mean the fullrange output of my Alembic preamp as opposed to the high out or low out of the crossover.

12. Yep.

I run full range (rather than using a cross over), no problems. Speakers don't clip, amps clip. Use appropriate power for the volume level you intend to run. The Acmes DO accurately reproduce the nasty sound of an amp clipping so it's best to be sure that neither your preamp or amp clip (unless you like that sound).

IMO, they handle it just fine, they sound like big studio monitors. Indeed, they are advertised as usable for PA and have an option for speaker stand cups.

I've done many small gigs powering my B2 with a 200 or 220 watt amp. Seems to work fine for me, maybe the sensitivity difference between the B1 and B2 or just a case of different situations. When I was first considering Acme, I was thinking about using a single B1 as a stage monitor and wrote Andy asking if it was suitable. He replied that a single B1 wouldn't cut through a loud drummer, no matter how much power you fed it.

13. Something to consider, Melvin7822. Because of their low sensitivity and flat response, these speakers are not for everybody. If it's not working for you, find something else. I love mine because it works for what I do. The guy I bought my B2 from (Metron) is on this board and never liked either his B2 or B4. Same cab, two totally different opinions, neither wrong.

14. rockindoc

rockindoc Daily Lama

Jan 26, 2002
    Bonham, Tx
    The best combination I've found is one Acme Low B2 and one EA VL208. I tried the B2 with a VL210. Sounded good, but the EA was quite a bit louder and had to be turned down. The Low B2 with a VL208 is a perfect match, and I can bridge my PLX 1602 into both 8 ohm cabs without having to worry about any volume disparity.

P.S. If you don't mind hauling a pair of 75+ pound cabinets, I'm guessing that a B4 and a VL210 would be a good match.

15. Melvin7822

May 11, 2004
    Broomfield, CO
    Hey Joe_Atlanta. Exactly how many watts are you pushing your Acme with?

16. Lonnybass

Lonnybass Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2000
    Minneapolis by way of Chicago
    Endorsing Artist: Pedulla Basses
    I agree 100 percent with this statement. Acmes are designed to fill a special need, and if its not what you're looking for, chances are you will be disappointed.

Lonnybass

17. Ditto what Lonny said.

Acme's don't sound like other cabinets, and aren't intended to be paired with anything other than Acme's. If there's a specific need you are trying to fill with the Acme, just use the Acme. If you HAVE to have the 'mid scoop' of Eden or Bergie...then just stick with Eden or Berg (for example). If you ultimately intend to mix-n-match, go with a stereo setup with plenty of power...probably two power amps. You'll need to crank the Acme and roll back anything else to match your volumes.

I played Mesa, and I thought they colored my tone too much and impregnated my sound with built-in Mesa character...which I realized I didn't want. Acme's only put out what you put in. I still have my mesa 4x10 and 2x15 and would never consider using either with my Acme(s).

18. My B2 is a 4 ohm cab. Depending on the gig (jazz trio to zydeco to some classic rock with my blues band), it is powered by amps that put out 200 - 1000 watts. Of course I've never maxed it out when I power it with 1000 watts and use a limiter in that situation.

Used in combo with my SWR GII 4x10, it gets 350 watts while the SWR gets 225. The combo maybe not quite as loud (low 120s vs mid 120s Db) as the SWR when used by itself and powered by the full 700 watts of the bridged DCM1000, but to my ears, it sounds better. Adding the Acme gives me a more defined sound that is less mid scooped, with a bass sound that just "feels" bigger than than using just the 4X10 by itself (this maybe from having more speakers or the "coupling" effect of stacking the cabs). Worth the extra effort both in toting more cabs and in setting up? Not very often. Out of the six times I've needed that much stage volume in the last nine months, I've used the combo only three times