1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Anyone Mod Their Pedulla P/J Rapture? Little disappointed with mine.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ckulasekere, Feb 25, 2008.

1. Hi all
    I just picked up a beautiful Pedulla Rapture 5 in a P/J config. I played one several years ago and loved the sound and so I bought one based on that memory. It arrived on Friday and I played it at church this past weekend and while it sounded nice and has a killer slap tone to my ear, it doesn't quite have the bite or tightness that my Maple top Peavey Cirrus 5 has.

Has anyone modded their Pedulla with diff PUs or three band eq or am I the only one who finds this bass a little lacking. Any input would be awesome. Thanks in advance.

2. bgartist

bgartist Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Does the Pedulla have a maple board? The Cirrus is a totally different bass-neck thru, humbuckers. Totally different vibe. Not sonically similar at all IMO. I like them but dont like the tight string spacing. You could try an Aguilar OBP2 or3. They have more range (bass and treble) than the Bart in the Pedulla.

3. thanks. i was thinking of going with emg PUs if they fit the routing and maybe even another bart 3 band or I like your idea of the aguilar. Thanks.

Has anyone tried emg or Nordstrand PUs in their rapture 5s???? Thanks

4. Lonnybass

Lonnybass

Jul 19, 2000
    San Diego
    Endorsing Artist: Pedulla Basses
    Perhaps the Rapture just isn't the bass for you - rather than go modding it you might want to look into other options that are a little more aggressive sounding.

Lonnybass

5. bgartist

Feb 4, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    I don't think the other pickups will work without routing. Pedulla's pickups are an odd size.

6. Lonnybass

Lonnybass

Jul 19, 2000
    San Diego
    Endorsing Artist: Pedulla Basses
    Yeah, good point Bernard. More complex, the whole entire harness is proprietary to Mike Pedulla so I don't know how easy it would be to simply drop in replacement pickups. Did you buy it new? Maybe you want to try a T'bolt with the Thunderguts switch, as this gives a MUCH bigger bite to the voicing when activated.

Lonnybass

7. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    Have you tried different strings ? You'd be surprised.

8. thanks all for the suggestions. i did put brand new DR hi beams on there before I played it live.

as for some of the other comments and questions. i did not buy this bass new. it was barely played by first owner but it is in fact used. i did play the bass today for another venue with my Acme/LMII rig and it sounded sooooo good. . . but as Lonnybass pointed out, it might not be the bass for me. I'm disappointed by that I little because I have always loved P/J bass sound. I am looking to pickup two yamaha trb5p in the near future. one is fretless the ohter fretted. both are 5 string P/j with the neck thru and piezo. maybe the fretted one will have more of a bitting sound that I am looking for. gotta say tho, that the Cirrus is still quite amazing to me. Thanks people, and any other comments would be cool as far as mods or anything at all. Thanks

9. bgartist

Feb 4, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Another issue may be the wood. The Pedulla is all maple. While maple is bright, it does not have the same tone as ash, which is the Peavey's body. IMO, nothing sounds quite like the brightness and "bite", as you say, of ash.

10. p0k

p0k I play the bass and design things.

Feb 6, 2007
    Brockton, MA
    lets see a pic of that pedulla!

11. I would love to post a pic of the pedulla. will take one tomorrow and figure out how to pop it on here. Thanks all