1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Anyone mod their SVP-BSP?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by kringle77, Aug 26, 2007.

1. kringle77

kringle77 Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    I tried to ressurect someone else's thread on this but nobody was bitting. I have just aquired one of these and it will be here next week. This is the 3rd one that have owned and may mod it alittle. I really miss this preamp and remember what was good and what needed some work. Reducing the distortion on the dirty channel would be a good mod and changing the very weak clean channel eq with a simple Alembic type would be great. I have studied the prints and think that mod would be very plausable and an improvement. Come on guys, lets get this preamp up to snuff, the way it should have been put out to begin with!

2. kringle77

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    I have the schematics if any of you tech heads need it.

3. kringle77

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    I just sent prints to one tb'er. If anyone wants the 6 prints, send my your e-mail address and I'll send you an attachment. Let's get to the bottom of this preamps weaknesses!

4. Sound Chaser

Sound Chaser

Mar 19, 2005
    Lockport, NY
    Mine was super-noisy. If not for that, I wouldn't have sold it. I might end up getting another one some day, so FlyOnAWindshield@gmail.com

5. kringle77

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    I think that I have sent a copy to everyone who has asked. If I haven't, let me know and send my your e-mail address.

6. DJJazzV

DJJazzV Gambling is illegal at Bushwood sir... Supporting Member

May 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    I would like the compression variable if possible. It's very tight right now.

7. kringle77

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    More copies have been sent. :) Come and get it!!!

8. kringle77

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    Thanks for the advice Dave. By the way guys, it's great to e-mail me any tips but you really should be posting them in this thread so that the rest of the Tb'ers can benefit. Thanks guys.

9. kringle77

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    After a closer inspection, I realized that the clean channel is very close to the alembic f2b. The bass and treble controls are the same but the mid is some sort of band pass I think. If the mid was changed and the circuit was sandwiched between the tube's gain stages, it would be the same as the alembic's circuits. Why would ampeg have used the tube like an buffer instead of just using it like alembic/fender did? Does this actually make a difference in the tone? I looks like they used the tube as a buffer and then used an op-amp for a gain stage to follow the tone controls. Why?

10. kringle77

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    Hey guys, while I was on lunch break the red truck preamp/buffer that I ordered came it and I got to try it. Man, that thing sounds really good. I plugged my bass into the red truck then into my crown xti2000 and it sounded great! I then plugged it in before the rest of my normal rig and I think that the low end actually sound abit bigger and tighter! I'll have to really give it a try again when I get home and have more time to noodle. Anyway, how does this have anything to do with the bsp? Well, the input on the redtruck is 4.7Meg ohms and the bsp is 1 meg ohm. I think that running the buffer first may make the whole preamp sound better. I actually was wowed more by this little pedal than by my old Avalon U5. I'll keep you guys posted.:hyper:

11. kringle77

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    Well, for anyone who is following this thread, last night I played around with some more combinations of toys. The red truck buffer didn't change the ampeg as much as my ashdown. I did however used as stereo 15 band eq with the ampeg. I ran one eq in the clean channel and one in the distorted channel. I didn't get the clean sound perfect but it sound good when I boosted the low mids a bit. I used the eq in the distorted channel to trim off the highs when running a cab with a tweeter and to boost the overall volume when using lower gain settings. i got great results by boosting the lows on the distorted channel with the eq and blending it with the clean channel. You can actually get the old svt vibe that way. For some reason, the last time that I owned one of these preamps, I ran the eq after the output of the preamp instead of using it in the effects loop. It works much better in the loop!