Anyone Modify Their Yamaha BB735A

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Jason Bonilla, Jun 28, 2021.

1. Jason Bonilla

Jason Bonilla Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2021
    I've been wanting to do a "project" using Nordstrand products for a while. At first I was thinking of buying a cheap gutted bass body or buying Warmoth parts. But I already have 3 basses, and in my current band im pretty much only using one, my BB735A, since I need the 5th string for certain songs. So I thought, why not just mod the BB? its already got a nicely built body and neck. really the only thing i dont like is the buzz on the single coil. This was actually my first bass with a P pickup so i dont really know what a "good" P pickup is supposed to sound like haha. To be honest not too big a fan of it solo'd but it sounds great when blended with the single coil. I've heard from reviews that the pickups (and pre amp to a degree) are the only lackluster thing about this awesomely made bass. i barely use it in active mode, and im not sure if thats a testament to how good it sounds in passive mode or a testament to how lackluster the pre amp is. has anyone else modified their BB735/734? I was thinking of souping mine up with a noiseless Nordstrand PJ set and a Nordstrand Pre amp, but im not sure if id be making the ultimate BB or doing myself and the bass a disservice.

Thumb n Fingers and JRA like this.
  2. Thumb n Fingers

Thumb n Fingers

Dec 15, 2016
    Let me know what you wind up doing and how you like the change. I have one of these basses also. I bought it to be a less expensive work horse for me, but I just haven't fallen in love with the tones generated yet. It does seem to sit great in a mix, so maybe I'm being overly picky, but the tones are just a little too, IDK, modern maybe? for me. Nickel and SS rounds seem way to "clanky" on it, and although I love D'Addario half rounds on my Yamaha 6, they aren't cutting it for me on the BB. So I'm kinda thinking I just don't love the pick ups on this one and maybe that's what I need to change.