1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Anyone Not Direct Record their Bass

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by elroyjetsn, Mar 21, 2010.

1. elroyjetsn

elroyjetsn

Mar 21, 2010
    West Virginia
    Seems like most studio recordings I've heard of electric basses are sans amp. Is that true or just my imagination?

2. JoZac21

JoZac21

Nov 30, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    Depends entirely on the producer, engineer and artist... personally, I record everything DI and use amp modeling simulate a "room/amp" sound... but that's strictly out of necessity (I live in an apartment). If I could, I would record everything w. a split signal, one line into a miked and the other DI... that way you can either blend the two sounds, or choose the one that works best.

3. I use a clean DI every time regardless of whatever else I'm using . . . that includes the SABDDI, amp, amps, fx etc

4. cat_saltnpepper

cat_saltnpepper

Aug 15, 2004
    Toronto
    it really depends. I've seen some people using Aguilar, Demeter, Brick and etc. for recording directly but also read some articles about using both direct and sound from the amp. some people just use the head like DI box, too. you just have to research it so which one sounds better for you. using DI does make job a lot easier though:)

5. nellie48

nellie48

Mar 12, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    We recently recorded and we ran a mic, DI, and a third channel blended. In the end we only used the mic track. Check it out www.vialavulture.bandcamp.com Thats just what sounded best this time round. Running just DI gets some good results. However, I dont understand why a majority of sound guys only want it this way. What is it about recording bass that DI is "so great" but with gui****s it is HORRIBLE?

6. SonicDevice

SonicDevice

Aug 21, 2009
    I've done it just DI...and just with a mic on the cab...as well as a combination of the two.

You have to go with what sounds best/works with the song.

7. Govier966

Govier966

Apr 28, 2009
    New York
    my band records using everything miced into a mixer feeding a 2 track recorder. it gives a really real sound since i cant tweak my tone after the recording i just mic the amp and run the direct out on the amp as well.

8. jetgraphics

jetgraphics

Dec 12, 2007
    Jawjuh
    In the beginning, there was the FENDER....
    Due to Leo's magic, the FENDER BASS sounded great when fed into the recorder. (No, not all basses sound good plugged into the board. Usually, single coils sound best.)

However the guitarist relies on a long and complex chain of acoustic alterations (distortions) to take the tinny, weak string vibrations and compose the mighty guitar wail... from the pickup, pre-amp, FX chain, power amp, speaker and room acoustics. Even modeling amps are but a faint replica of the real thing.

The worst thing you can do for the guitarist is to give him "high fidelity"

9. nysbob

nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    I've done it every way mentioned - my preferred method at this point it a good mic on my SB12 fliptop. It naturally does all the things a good line signal chain will do with minimal fuss.

I've come to find the blends are more difficult than they're worth due to time / phasing issues. The most satisfying results are straight DI or mic IMO.

10. TortillaChip520

TortillaChip520

Jun 3, 2008
    AZ
    my band does everything direct DI. The engineer we work with prefers it, as it gets the full spectrum of sound better than a mic.

11. elroyjetsn

elroyjetsn

Mar 21, 2010
    West Virginia
    Next tues will be my first studio recording and was wondering if the amp will be needed. Guess i'll bring it along just in case.

12. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Too much hip thrust
    On my recent album, I used a variety of signals:

DI from Sansamp BDDI (from bass it had too much of a glassy attack- I tap a lot, used just for "in case")
    DI from head (used for about 80% of tone)
    Mic A scooped
    Mic B throaty (used more than the other)

I play modern progressive metal and the way I run my head (with the Sansamp BDDI in the effects loop) has a huge effect on my tone- tube compression, saturation, grit, etc. If I played another style, other options might make more sense.

Here is a sample, if it's still up, fairly final mix- http://www.mediafire.com/?z5jnzyzek0m

There is no way I'd get that tone just DI from bass.

13. Greevus

Greevus

Apr 15, 2009
    Using a Shure 57 and a 58 on two Ampeg cabs currently. Like direct okay, but Mics sound nice and spongy and live for me.

14. guroove

guroove

Oct 13, 2009
    Buffalo, NY
    It depends on the style of music, IMO. Back in 2002, I recorded an album with a very heavy rock band where I wanted a very distorted bass sound. The band set up in a room with no isolation booths, just baffles, and we close mic'd everything. Now, most of my recording sessions are done with ProTools, and I just go direct into the recording interface.

15. tdub0199

tdub0199

Mar 4, 2010
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Last week we just ran my bass direct into a Universal Audio 6176 and EQ'ed a little and got a really nice tone...

16. +1 I generally go direct to the board AND record my signal through my Ampeg B-15N miked. And if I had to pick one or the other, it would be the miked Ampeg B-15N.

17. godofthunder59

godofthunder59 God of Thunder and Rock and Roll Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Rochester NY USA
    Endorsing Cataldo Basses, Whirlwind products, Thunderbucker pickups
    I have to have a mic, DI if you must.

18. KsPiNeSh

KsPiNeSh

Mar 28, 2008
    Kansas City
    My gear is a part of my sound - mic me please :)

19. RobertPaulson

RobertPaulson

Dec 11, 2008
    Des Moines
    On the record we're making now I tracked all the bass with 2 mic's (SM7 and a large diaphragm condenser, can't remember which one) and a DI. All 3 tracks have their own color and I can either use one that fits the song best, or blend them together. Works great and allows a lot of flexibility in post.

20. elroyjetsn

elroyjetsn

Mar 21, 2010
    West Virginia
    I've got BT1000 with expander or i can use my BXR-200 with chorus and 10b-eq and both have xlr outs. Playing a GS205 with phat preamp and noisy single coils. Might just DI and let the guy in the booth tweak it to our liking.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 30, 2020