Anyone NOT like the Fender Geddy Lee sig?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by blizzard, Mar 18, 2006.

1. I know there are about a million threads about the Geddy lee sig, but this is a bit different because I want to see if there are any body else out there who doesn't like the Geddy Lee sig Fender?

My story is that I was in music store and gazed upon the beauty that is the Geddy Lee. I absolutely love the way its looks, and its specs are excellent but as soon as I picked it up I was like "No, this isn't me. The neck is way to thin to be comfortable." Everyone here raves about the neck but I am very nonplussed about the neck it feels too thin. So is anyone else here not like the Bass or its neck?
  2. I think they are very nice for the money and have a solid tone, but I wouldn't buy one. The neck is a bit small and I'd much rather spend a few extra dollars for an MIA Jazz to get the (hopefully) better fit and finish.
  3. dave120

Jun 27, 2005
    Central Florida
    I like how it looks/sounds, but the neck is a bit too thin to be comfortable to me since my hands are kinda big. A normal Jazz neck is borderline on being too thin for me, so the Geddy is hard for me to get used to. I can definately see how the thin neck is great for a lot of people though! Pretty solid bass for the price, but I'd probably go for an Aerodyne before I bought one.
  4. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY

I have had two. Nice for $600 Not for me but alot of bass for not alot of cash

5. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    I didn't like mine. The pickups were weak, the tuners were lousy, and I didn't care for the thin neck (and I have small hands).
  6. I have one.
    It's the best looking bass I own and it sounds great.
    However, it doesn't sound good in my band, so it's next to useless to me.:rollno:
    Luckily, I haven't become 'attatched' to it. It will be up for sale soon.
  7. Having had one for a brief period of time, I did not find the neck comfortable. It was far too thin. I also found the pickups just as thin as the neck. It definitely is a bass that's not for everyone, but is still a killer value for the 70's era aesthetic.
  8. I just wish Fender would offer a more upscale american version. I liked the vibe, the articulation the Badass bridge gives the notes attack and the slim neck profile, in addition to the cool 70s block inlay on maple look, but the terrible fretwork, shoddy tuners, and questionable neck had me returning the bass. I know the alder body tames the maple's highs a bit compared to the ash on the 75 reissue, but the neck just seemed kind of dead acousticly. If they were to offer a nice american series version or custom shop even, with a nice punchy quartersawn maple neck with no dead spots and some Hipshot or other high quality tuners and good fretwork, I'd be the first to shell out the cash. I don't see why they don't sell one like the red flame maple topped bass Geddy poses with recent Fender ads. It just seems like you can't get a good bass from Fender in that configuration unless you're Geddy Lee himself.
  9. Akito

Dec 1, 2003
    I think they look good, but are a big let down in every other department. Not for me.
  10. Well, if your left-hand technique is as sloppy as Geddy's, you need a neck that thin. ;)

*waits for the flames*
  11. bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    I think you'd probably have to like Geddy Lee to have any appreciation for these basses.

I admit it - I never got the attraction. And I do like Jazz basses, but this one just left me scratching my head.
  12. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Neck is too small for me.
  13. If I bought one, the very first thing I'd do is replace the neck with a P-Bass neck.
  14. FeelTheGroove

Dec 2, 2005
    I love the style and tone but not a fan of the neck.
  15. jgsbass

May 28, 2003
    Floral Park, NY
    Had one. Liked it. Sold it. Guess I didn't like it that much. Neck was beginning to have a stability issue. It still needed better pickups.
  16. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005
    I probably woundent like it since the neck will be thinner than my jazz, and thats thin enough already.

however.......maple fretboard with black block inlays....mmmmmmmmmmm
  17. s-curl

Mar 16, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    Those block inlays aren't inlays at all. Take a closer look. They're painted squares.
  18. mcgraham

Feb 21, 2004
    Coventry, UK
    I concur with a lot of the previous posts. I've replaced the pickups with DiMarzio Model J's which thickened up the sound to monstrous proportions. A great setup means this beast is a real player. However I am considering changing the neck to a warmoth replacement, cannot decide however as the Geddy is ridiculously good looking.
    Could be doing a trade for a 24 fret ebony board tele headstock warmoth. I've requested a photoshop to help me decide but it's a tough decision. Any thoughts guys?

Take care and God bless,

19. I've never liked the looks of them, and I always thought the neck would be too small for my tastes. But the only GL I've played, just the other day, was very nice. In fact, I might have to try it out again, only amplified. I don't think I'll ever buy one though, unless it became available with a neck without black blocks and binding.