1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Anyone NOT like the Fender Geddy Lee sig?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by blizzard, Mar 18, 2006.

1. ashton

ashton

Jan 4, 2001
    Australia
    Painted on, isn't that the mark of quality.....

The block inlays on rosewood necks are actuall inlays am I right?

2. Oxblood

Oxblood Banned

Apr 17, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Didn't Nino Valenti solve that myth and actually find out that they are indeed real inlays?

3. ashton

ashton

Jan 4, 2001
    Australia
    Shouldn't specifications like that be listed on fender.com?

Black inlays and binding, not specified material used. I'm really curious.

4. slagbass

slagbass Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2005
    Canada
    I'm pretty sure the bass you are referring to came from the Fender Custom Shop. You could get one - it'll just take time and $$$.

I agree with most of the previous posts on the GL. Love the look, wish the neck were thicker and wish the build quality was a bit more consistent. A pretty good bass for the money though.

5. sb69coupe

sb69coupe

Aug 9, 2004
    Raleigh NC
    I owned one for 18 months or so. The build quality on mine was first rate, very nice. The neck was stable and the action was very nice too. I thought the pickups were a little weak and the bass lacked a strong bottom end. In the end, the very slim neck didn't work well for me, I found that my hand would cramp up if I spent a couple songs playing up on the 1st to 4th frets. I sold it to fund a Lakland Joe Osborn and couldn't be happier.

6. 513rocks.com

513rocks.com Supporting Member

Sep 22, 2004
    Mason, Ohio
    ive played a couple at the local guitar center and thought they were junk. the setups were so bad that the basses were un-playable (if thats even a word :) ) i know thats not the basses fault but guitar center should have them set up better. what i really hate about them is the finish. the neck feels like it has an inch of clear coat on it. i hate that!! the black body grabs fingerprints. i never even got far enough with one to tell how they sound. the only thing i like about them is the look (from a couple feet back) and the badass II which even looks a little cheaper made than the badass bridges i used a couple years back. i might be wrong. i guess for the price though, they are worth the money. id save up a little more money and buy an american made jazz myself......

7. i like the looks, havent played one, but it would be alot better if it was an ash body...alder doesnt do it for me that much

8. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    The neck that I took apart had real inlays but I spoke to a friend of mine at Fender and the newer necks have painted inlays.

IMO, that'a a non issue. The bass plays great with painted or real inlays.

9. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    I considered one a few years ago when I was looking for a Jazz, and liked it, but bought an American Series because I thought it was easily worth the extra $200. I preferred the Am. Ser. neck feel and its thicker tone (IMO), plus it has through body stringing option, graphite reinfoced neck, hardshell case, and S-1 switch.

To me, it was a no-brainer, but if you can't spring the extra $$ the Geddy is great. Plus I'm sure some prefer the tone provided by the '70's bridge pickup placement.

10. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001

It's not always about the $$ ...I was all ready to buy an American Jazz but I just couldn't do it because I liked the feel of the Geddy so much better and couldn't find a single problem with the quality / fit / finish of the Geddy… and I preferred the BA II. I honestly liked the Geddy Lee sig better.

Another thing about the Geddy - it does seem to require a little different EQ settings than most other basses, especially to bring out the bottom end, but when you figure out how to bring it out - it's there big time.

I've wondered if this wasn't by design - it seems like every time Geddy is asked about the original bass, he says something about how there is maybe something "wrong" or "different" about the wiring, or the pick ups, or something - he's not sure because he won't let a tech look for problems because the sound is so great that he doesn't want it "fixed" to sound like a regular jazz... I wonder if Fender tried to emulate the basic out put, or voice of the original and that is why it sounds so unusually thin until you EQ your amp differently than you do for any other bass, and then it sound fantastic - maybe that's something like the mysterious "maybe something different or wrong with it, but it sounds great" that Geddy always brings up?

So maybe at least some of the people who hated the tone just didn't spend enough time with it to find the good tones? I'm not sure how you can like other Jazz basses and hate the Geddy tone. Who knows.

The Geddy Lee is unusual both in feel and in tone - people seem to love it or hate it. I love it - I'll bet that just as many people hate it. I actually wish that more people hated it, I'm starting to feel like one of billions and billions that play one.

11. SuperSonic!!!

SuperSonic!!!

Oct 26, 2005
    YORKSHIRE
    Lets get this straight... You think Geddy is beatiful? Then picked him up and thought his neck was too thin? FOR WHAT?!? You wierdo...

:meh: :eyebrow: :confused: :eek: :help: :ninja: :bag:

12. BassJunkie730

BassJunkie730

Feb 3, 2005
    Brooklyn

That's EXACTLY what I did. Seriously guys. I took my 1/4 sawn maple USAcustom guitars P-style neck (great fretwork satin finish - feels like a pool cue- hipshot ultra lights, hipshot three string retainer, tusq nut) and replace the badass with a brass hipshot B style and now the bass is a MONSTER!!!

I was going to replace the pickups with a pair of Model Js but I'm hoilding out for a pair of duncan antiquity II. And truth be told the bass just sounds better with a bigger neck.

IMO the hardware on the japanese basses is crap. When i put the geddy neck on the body that the USACG neck was on - I noticed that the tuner's housing is stamped from two pieces. Even the tuners on the MIM Dirnt bass are better (rebranded schaller tuners) IMO the Dirnt is actually better quality (if you can find one with good fret work) I replaced the nut but overall I prefer the Dirnt over the geddy hands down. So I replaced the tuners ont he geddy neck with schaller retrofits.

Overall before I modded it - the bass looked cool, but now it sounds cool. :D :bassist:

~Michael

13. ashton

ashton

Jan 4, 2001
    Australia
    Given that inlays impact very little on tone. Inlays are a sign of craftsmanship and attention to detial. Quite a shortcut.

14. The only real reason to buy the GL is for that neck, so I'm not sure what your point is, really.

15. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    :D

Actually, I was losing the love for my Geddy Lee... I got over the neck issue after playing a bit, (I love me some chunky necks!)... The bass sounded great by itself, but really lost it in a band setting... Sounded fine down low or up high, but between the fifth and twelfth frets the sound just went away. I knew it wasn't the pickups because it sounded SO GOOD in the first position, (I love the open-ness of these stock pickups)... I tried different strings and EQ settings but couldn't get any presence when in a group.

Finally, I pulled off the Badass and replaced it with a cheesy MIM bridge that I had laying around, and viola!! The bass now speaks nicely... very even throughout. I played it Friday night at a moderately loud club gig and it cut through when I ventured into the room, (but can you ever really be objective when you're playing and sound-checking at the same time?)... We had a guest bassist sit in for a few tunes and that's when I really was able to hear how good it sounded in a band setting... Plus the fact that the band was sounding great made me really appreciate these guys!

Still, in the spirit of the thread, if my house was on fire and I was lucky enough to be able to rescue a bass, it probably wouldn't be the Geddy... That being said, I am now very satisfied with the bass...

-robert

16. My GL was set up perfectly, no problems with the bridge, perfect tension with the strings, and the action was set right. I have medium hands, but a small pinky. That is what attracted me to the GL, and the looks. Before this bass, I never wanted a Fender. Now, I look at Fenders almost exclusively.

I will admit that the pickups could use more power/tone, but otherwise, they sound great. A huge improvement over my Peavey Fury-2. And that the sustain is not that of a Rickenbacker, but as for that, that is partially the neck. For $700, you can afford to upgrade the pickups, and have an awesome sounding and looking bass.

If you suffer from small-pinky-itis, like me, you may want to give this bass another go (make guitar center set it up properly if it is not) or check out the Ibanez SR-500, not the SRX-500 (this one is garbage).

17. g00eY

g00eY

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    i'm not a HUGE fan of the looks, but they're aight. i've never played one... so i'm guess i'm at the neutral position.

18. Phil Mailloux

Phil Mailloux

Mar 25, 2005
    Brisbane, Australia
    Builder: Mailloux Basses
    You guys really got my curiousity with that "thin neck" talk.

I'm curious to find out HOW thin they exactly are. A regular jazz has a neck thats 20mm thick at first fret going up to 23mm thick at 12th fret.

How thick is the geddy lee? Would someone mind checking this out for me? (anyone that owns one, that is and has a caliper handy)

A regular 70's jazz also has a 7 1/4" radius, does the Geddy also have this or just a regular vintage 9 1/2"radius?

19. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    "Given that inlays impact very little on tone. Inlays are a sign of craftsmanship and attention to detial. Quite a shortcut."

Perhaps but for 699 bucks I won't hold it against Fender.....
    IMHO one of the best value for money basses at that price point.

20. seedeeare

seedeeare

Mar 19, 2006
    I myself own a 1994 Fretless Jazz bass, and a Reissue '64 Jazz Bass...
    I had considered buying the Geddy Lee Bass, ans went down to the local store to test it...
    I thought the neck was too thin, and the design...well....just plain blunt.. The huge black blocks on the fretboard are incredibly ugly... Just not my kind of bass...