1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Anyone NOT like the Fender Geddy Lee sig?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by blizzard, Mar 18, 2006.

1. Whisper

Whisper Supporting Member

My Geddy is well built and resonant. However, I like a thicker neck, and I don't like the 70's Jazz sound (except in the hands of Marcus Miller). For example, if you are trying to emulate the sound and styles of Motown, Jaco, R&B, and fingerstyle funk, the Geddy probably isn't your bass (IME).

2. sedan_dad

sedan_dad

Feb 5, 2006
    Columbus,Ohio
    So what makes a "Geddy" different from a regular Jazz.
    Can't you order a "A" neck anymore?So is it just the neck?
    Do you have to buy a "Geddy" just to get a thin neck.
    Thank God this guy wasn't named Wilber.

3. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    Agreed. I've since sold mine,but not a bad bass for what it is

4. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    Well consider the source on were it was played

5. FWIW I love my Geddy Lee bass but couldn't care less about Geddy Lee the bassist. He's never interested me as a player. Putting the signature on the rear of the headstock was a smart move on Fender's part IMHO.

6. Totally. Fender might do well with a more upscale Geddy Lee. Say on par with the Victor Bailey bass. Even a USA '72 Jazz Bass reissue in alder/maple would be cool.

My GL came from the factory with a solid neck and good fret work, but the finish on the back of the neck can be sticky at times. I often wish it had a satin nitro finish like the more upscale Fenders.

7. ClassicJazz

ClassicJazz Bottom Feeders Unite!! Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Delray Beach, Florida
    I love my Geddy. It is a slap monster. For finger style I use my Classic 60's jazz, but for da funk....Geddy.

But.....my only grip is the Geddy has the lowest output of any of my basses. I almost have to turn the input gain on my amp all the way up before is starts peaking. As far as the neck, I prefer the "inlays" to be painted on. On a neck that thin, the more wood the better!

8. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    Meh, just another jazz bass to me.

Next Topic. :D :bag:

9. thats goes for almost every jazz i've played. I dont like the geddy lee sig bass but it is one of the nicer jazzes i've played. I just dont like jazzes in general so the GL gets clumped into that.

10. Manol

Manol Too Sexy To Be Left Handed.

Oct 9, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    What is it with all these people saying it has low output? Mine pumps out ****ing heaps...

11. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Yeah, that's one of the many reasons I prefer the American Series to the Geddy, and to the American Vintage models for that matter, even though I recognize those are outstanding instruments.

12. speigel

speigel

Aug 5, 2005
    Somerset, UK
    I just don't get the fascination with Jazz basses. To me they're ugly, but beauty as they say is in the eye of the beholder. I mean some people actually buy Bongo's by choice!

13. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    HI

I disagree. I think a jazz bass is the best looking bass ever produced. I guess that's part of the reason it is so copied over and over again by many great builders

Rob

14. The Geddy's are really nice basses, but I find the neck a little thin for my likings.

15. Neck has tooooooo much epoxy on it.. It feels like a plastic stick..

16. HMZ

HMZ Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2003
    USA-Mineola
    Love the Geddy Lee but hate the pickups. I had to replace the single coil pickups with Dimarzio humbuckers model J’s.

17. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    You have a T-bird in your avatar, therefore your opinion does not count. :bag: :D

18. HooBass

HooBass

May 27, 2003
    NC
    Interesting thread, as I read almost exclusively positive things about the GL.

When I first plugged mine in at home I was disappointed. Very little bottom end, and just the "shock" of difference versus what I was used to -- my active Stingray. For years I played mid scooped and it was hard to make the GL sound "good" to my ears when played solo.

Through shear inertia I recorded the GL on one of my songs. Solo'd the tracks, and yuck. Same thing, only now I could hear how sloppy a bass player I was.

Then I mixed the overall tune (I use the phrase "mix" loosely), boosted the mids on the GL track a tad, and took a recording to work. Then I noticed it sat *great* in the mix. For some time I had been struggling to get "the growl" out of my Stingray through (what in hindsight was too much) processing, but the GL just plain got it (albeit with the mid boost).

So, I didn't love it like I expected to, but it felt great, looked awesome, and did what no other bass had done for me -- get the growl essentially right out of the box. I can see why others don't like theirs -- Mine doesn't excite me when I focus only on it, but it's a player in the mix.

HooBass

19. niomosy

niomosy

Nov 9, 2002
    *raises hand*

It's got a pickguard on it.

Jazz body.

It's a Fender.

That's 3 strikes.

20. Gastambide

Gastambide

Mar 4, 2005
    Geddy is the #1 reason I chose to focus on bass, rather than guitar as a youngster. But unlike the majority of folks here, I think it's one of the absolute ugliest Jazz basses I've ever seen. But then I never saw a black, let alone a black and white (uuugh!) bass I DID like. (I even think his Ric would have looked cooler in fireglo!) Now if it were 3-color sunburt with a tortoise pickgaurd...that's a different story! I do like the maple board with black blocks. That is, to me, THE classic Jazz bass look.

The only ones I've played were at Guitar Centers, and were so badly setup as to be completely unplayable for me. Not even worthy of plugging in. I suspect that is solely the fault of the store and not the bass itself.

I do like the badass on my P-bass, though! Maybe I could just get a reissue from the custom shop in my color of choice, then slap a Badass on it, some Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounders in it, and a Hipshot D-tuner up top. Yeah, that wouldn't be too expensive!