Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone notice a sonic diffrence in chambered bodys?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MAJOR METAL, May 14, 2004.

1. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Just curious if any of you have noticed a diifrence in tone or sound from a solid body to a chambered body. My impression is it is mainly done for weight reduction as to for sonic reasons. Thanks

2. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE
    smoother highs.

mellower sound generally speaking

Peace,
    JP

3. You guys might be talking about higher-end stuff, but I can tell you that my Reverend, with its chambered body, has the sweetest tone of any bass I've ever owned (check my profile for the old stuff, there's some expensive ones there!) Compared to my solid-body Curbow, the Rev has a more aggressive, cutting sound, especially in the mids and highs. Of course, the body and neck materials on those basses are completely different and they have different pickups, so it's hard to do a fair comparison. But the Reverend out-growls every other bass I've had.

4. MAJOR METAL

Could any Sadowsky players chim in with if they notice any sonic diffrence between the chambered and non chambered Sadowsky bodys. Thanks

5. MAJOR METAL

Oh i allways thoght they were a littel more chambered then hollow.

6. Rezdog

Rezdog Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    T.Rez, Canada
    Greetings from the North,
    Reverend's design,materials,construction, and that just the right amount of Motor City air that gets trapped in the chambers, does make a difference. A/B them with a good J or P and you'll know what alot of Reverend players know. And many of them are long time die hard J or P players. If you let the air out I'm not sure if Joe Naylor will replace it or not :bassist: Dave Siff got it right. But with flats the Rev has got serious thump. I play a Brad Houser.
    Happy Times,
    Rezdog

7. The Reverend is a wonderful thing. I put TI flats on my J/J but went back to DR Lo Riders. I still get get a thumpy sound when playing between the two pickups but there is more growl. Buy and Reverend, string to your liking, and enjoy!!!

The hollow body does make a big difference.

8. MAJOR METAL

Anyone else notice a diffrence?

9. I've built one walnut J that was chambered and have another walnut/ash chambered under the router now. My feeling is that chambering negates the characteristic tones of many woods. Where you might expect a warmer tone from walnut, chambering (at least my designs) actually emphasizes high mids. It might be from the decreased mass but I'm not sure.

10. MAJOR METAL

Could any bassist playing a new Sadowsky chime in please, thank you. :)

11. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    my 'Skee PJ5 is a chambered alder body, but honestly, i havent heard any of the solid body version of previous builds.

but it does sound airier, and yes, a bit more hollow sounding in the mids compared to my old 5 string parts alder bass. do i feel like i'm missing out on NOT having a solid alder body?

you prolly can answer that for me. ;)

12. MAJOR METAL

Great thanks for the feedback guys. :)

13. MAJOR METAL

Anyone else out their with a chambered body?

14. gyancey

gyancey

Mar 25, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I've built a few chambered body basses. I like them. They're lighter and have a really "alive" tone to them. More agressive midrange, possibly.

15. I want to add to the discussion that there are essentially two motivations for chambering - weight reduction and tonal shaping. My stuff has been chambered simply for weight reduction. I make no claims as to what the chambering will do for tone. In fact, it's pretty much a crapshoot until I get the instrument plugged in.

On the other hand, there are builders out there that have taken painstaking care to R & D chambering designed specifically to shape the tone of their instrument. You shouldn't compare the two approaches on equal footing. The latter represents many, many hours of work to tune the design to it's peak, while what I do is more akin to making condiment trays in woodshop. :rolleyes:

16. MAJOR METAL

true, thanks.

17. MyDogBo

MyDogBo

Aug 25, 2002
    LA
    :D
    what JP said and more .. this is "sonic splendor" my friends! .. big big differences between solid and chambering in terms of enhancing tonal qualities and character of the wood ..

this has a 2-piece mahogany body (back) and carved center tone block .. with fine straight grain western cedar top ..
    :D :D :bassist:

18. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    i get SOOOOOOO pissed off everytime i see a picture of a Kenneth Lawrence.

pissed off that i don't own one!!!!!!!!!!

:bawl:

f

19. MyDogBo

MyDogBo

Aug 25, 2002
    LA
    -- i've several really grand basses and I know you do as well .. but this one is extraordinarily "special" .. .. this KL just flat kicks butt in every way ... here's a few from the farm and bassalone website for the taking ..

20. MAJOR METAL

Anyone see the add Warmoth is running in G*itar world on the chambered bodys with a fat tone?