Anyone Noticed That...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Redhotbassist, Aug 27, 2004.

1. Redhotbassist

Oct 19, 2002
    Warwick streamers look a lot like Spectors?...has this been discussed before?.. its really quite weird, there very alike.. body shape wise.. and pickups.. what came first spector basses.. or the streamer?..

2. Bigwan

Feb 22, 2002
    Ballymena (hey)
    The spectors came first - warwick license the shape from spector I believe..
  3. cetera

Apr 29, 2004
    Surrey, England
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses & Cort Basses
    Spector came first. They have been using the shape (ergonomically designed by Ned Steinberger) since the late '70's.... :bassist:

Warwick licensed the design.... :meh:
  4. It's brought up in almost every Warwick thread, and probably will be for a foreseable future. ;) And yes, Warwick has licensed Ned Steinberger's design, as made popular by Spector, after some conflict and juridical circus.
    Personally I like every Straemer I've played - even the German made Standard - more than the few Spectors, Korean and Czhech, I've laid hands on. I especially disliked the beefy, gloss finished neck on the Czech neck through.
    And also, I think Streamers look a teeny bit better, as they have changed a few little details of Steinberger's original shape.

But then again, you probably don't want to listen too much to me, since I'm a bit biased, having played the bass below since 1993.
  5. Redhotbassist

Oct 19, 2002
    Ah so basically warwick liked the look of the spector.. and asked permission to make a model looking a lot like it?..
  6. Spectors are sexier to me, due to the rounded body edges. And I love that beefy and glossy neck. It feels solid.
  7. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    I'm feeling something...

Wait, I'm getting a handle on it...

Oh!!! There it is...

8. I don't think they did it quite like that, no, hence the juridical circus. It was more like: In the eighties, Warwick liked Ned Steinberger's design and decided to make a bass from it. Spector - already making a basses with that design - being first and all sued Warwick for using copyrighted shape, already in production. Then after a legal process, Warwick pays to use the Steinberger shape.
    This is all from what I've gathered on these boards, since nothing is mentioned on Warwick or Spector's respective website about these things - which coming to think of it is very odd. So, please keep in mind that I might very well be wrong, and base what I tell you on hearsay.
  9. DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    That's not too surprising. It's possible that part of the settlement between the two companies would be that the settlement not be discussed in public by either party.
  10. cetera

Apr 29, 2004
    Surrey, England
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses & Cort Basses
    As said before, Spector had been using that design successfully since the late '70's. It is unlikely that Warwick didn't know that.... :meh:

Personally I like Warwicks (particularly the original Streamer models from the '80's) but think Spectors beat them hands down at all price levels. :bassist:

Though maybe a little overstating the point, a friend of mine remarked "Spector is to Warwick what Rolls Royce are to Ford....." ;) :D
  11. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    That's the best bit.
  12. 6-3-2

Sep 20, 2003
    I dunno man I have small hands, and I played a 5-string czech Spector and it didn't feel too big to me, and I think p-bass necks are monsterous. Then again I don't like Warwicks, I've seen a Standard Streamer with a 4 piece body, that's unacceptable for a brand who putting out the image of boutique, at least to me.
  13. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España

Assuming that all that its true, what happens with the jazz shape? cos i was told that fender could just make a patent on the headstock shape :confused:
  14. ApeIsHigh81

Aug 24, 2004
    Hey Spector guys, There's the Spector of my dreams on a, um, *cough*on-line marketplace*cough*, a ns-2j in natural. It looks sweet, has the tone pump, (I can just install a obp1 later) pau ferro, natural finish. I played I think it was an all white neck through used euro last year at GC and really loved the neck. Is this neck going to be the same? I only need 100 more dollars to pick it up, so please no one bid, PLEASE? Do you say this is a wiser choice than a l-2000? All I was really looking for were strong pickups and some sort of bass boost in a new bass anyway. Talk me into it guys! :bassist:
  15. Redhotbassist

Oct 19, 2002
    Thats a bit off-topic dude..
  16. ApeIsHigh81

Aug 24, 2004
    Sorry guy, I was just thinking I didn't want to start a whole other thread, there were spector users in here, and neck feel was mentioned. I'm sorry :scowl: