1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Anyone on here own a iPhone? if so whats your opinions

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by ibanezcollector, Aug 17, 2007.

1. ibanezcollector

ibanezcollector Yoyo's Hurt When You Crank It Into Your Face

Feb 18, 2007
    Cleveland Ohio
    I am in the market to sell my Samsung A707 Sync and upgrade to the iPhone. I am a apple person and the features of having a simplified laptop appeals to me.

I played with it at the local ATT store and coverage in my area is extremely well so im not so concerned with the internet part of it. I have been using cellular internet for a long time.

But what are your general opinions of the phone. Would you buy it again given what you own now.

I am directing this at iPhone owners, Please only respond if you own the phone

2. need4mospd

need4mospd

Dec 22, 2005
    Houston
    Not an iPhone owner, but if you're shopping it always helps to compare to something similar. Check out the Nokia E70. I've heard it's better for some people, but you'd need to decide that yourself of course!

3. First off, I don't own one but I will be getting one, maybe even tomorrow if I can finish up some overdue work today :) I spent quite a bit of time with my friends and it really does everything I need and does it well. He's addicted to the damn thing!! The abillity to select and play individual voicemails is a fantastic feature. Being able to check the forums, eBay and emails from my workshop will pay for itself is short order. I found the "keypad" typing very easy compared to anything else I've tried. We already have AT&T so it's not going to be a big deal. The only downside I can see is the limited storage capacity for music and rather unimpressive headphones.

4. ibanezcollector

Feb 18, 2007
    Cleveland Ohio
    FL i am about to pull the trigger as well..

I have a 80 gig iPod so music isnt the concern as much.. Headphones there is a adapter my friend bought so anything will work.

I am one ebay auction away from getting it.. :)

5. ibanezcollector

Feb 18, 2007
    Cleveland Ohio
    I edited that for ya. im sure it was a mishap :)

6. I love the fact that he calls it an objective review when it is clearly not. Either way though, I still like Maddox and agree with him that the Nokia is better.

7. Wow. He put a request out for only people who own the phone to respond....and still......

Oh wait, I don't own one either.

BUT.... I did have a friend's in my possession for a couple hours, and I do say I was impressed with the niceties of it, but kinda think it sucks for the whole typing in numbers without buttons thing.... you have to be pretty spot on with your touch.

Me

8. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    I've had one in my possession since 6/30 and it's my first smartphone. First off, the fit and finish on mine is excellent. I don't have any problems with battery life and all functions work as expected.

The Safari web browser is full featured as advertised although it won't run Java applets (haven't run into issues here yet) or Flash stuff. Not having Flash is a minor nuisance in some cases but for the vital on the road websurfing it hasn't caused me any troubles.

I'm able to log into my bank accounts and make payments and such. I've been able to log into all the internet forums I visit. A few of my posts here have been via my iPhone. :) Safari is the only iPhone app so far that lets you use the landscape keyboard. Hopefully this will migrate to all the other apps as well as I type much more accurately at the expense of not seeing much else on the screen.

The things that bug me about iPhone Safari are; pinch-zooming is very laggy if you try before the page is completely loaded. Once the page is loaded, zooming works fine. Also, bookmarks can't be shuffled around once you've added them.

For example, if I added a bookmark to my iPhone folder, but decide I wanted it in my Games folder, I have to load the page, add the bookmark to Games, then Edit / Delete the other bookmark in the iPhone folder. Not too big of a deal but I was scratching my head for a minute since I'm used to the "Organize Bookmarks" feature included in most browsers.

The maps feature is really cool. I like being able to type "Sushi 12345" and the map will light up with most of the sushi joints in and around this ZIP code. Each pinpoint on the map contains complete contact / address information so in a couple of clicks you can be calling to make a reservation or get driving directions.

I can set location bookmarks in the map app or I can store / use location info from my contacts list. For example, if I'm at one person's house on my contact list and want to go to another person's house on my list I can open the map app and in a few clicks have turn-by turn directions from point A to point B.

The map app caches this information so the complete directions are available even if you lose your signal as long as the directions have completely loaded. The directions even stay cached after powerdown (which makes sense since everything is run / stored in NVRAM).

The downside to maps is lack of GPS on the iPhone. Maps work great if you know where you are. If you take a wrong turn and get completely lost, you're out of luck until you can figure out or find someone to tell you where you are. Haven't had this problem yet, but I could see GPS being useful in more cases than this.

The weather & stock apps are cool for basic functionality. I have my own set of wishes for these apps but the do work as advertised.

The iPod integration is OK, not great. I say this because I hate earbuds so I shaved the headphone jack on my headphones so they'd fit into the recessed iPhone headphone jack. Since I use my own headphones, I lost the play / pause / fast forward functionality built into the headset that came with the iPhone. Now I have to remove my iPhone from my pocket if I want to do any of these functions.

With my 20GB iPod, I can operate it through my pocket because the buttons help with tactile memory & feedback. I haven't been very successful getting my fingers to remember exactly where the 'buttons' are on the iPhone screen so I haven't gotten to the point where I can operate it while it's in my pocket. The is frustrating to me because I like being able to pause music if I need to talk to someone like when I get on the bus for example.

The Coverflow feature is cool. It's like flipping through a shelf full of albums, just like the old days, except you don't have to take the record out of the jacket in order to hear the music. It's cool to look at, but I find myself using the normal Artist list to flip through the music to get to what I want to hear.

The camera capabilities are very basic, but I've taken a bunch of pictures that I never would've been able to snap if I had to go digging for my camera. Still I wouldn't mind a flash of some sort added. Supposedly this is an f 2.8 camera so the lens isn't very fast at all and focus / exposure would benefit greatly from an added flash.

Browsing photos is fun. My two year old son knows how to flip through the pictures as well as double-tap to zoom. It's fun watching him figure out how to use my phone.

The phone part seems OK. This is probably the least used part of the iPhone for me. The lack of speed or voice dial bugs me, but I don't make enough phone calls (and 99.9% are to the same person anyway) for this to bother me. Some of the other functions, like conference calling (someone I know had a 6-way phone call when making evening plans with their buddies) and call waiting / forwarding are not new, my last phone had them. I just never knew how to use them. With the iPhone, these features are simple to use.

I bought a $30 Motorola bluetooth headset for when I'm in my car. Pairing with the iPhone was dead simple, just input the headset's (not so) secret code and the two work together great. Since I only use a headset when I'm driving I didn't feel the need to get a Jawbone or any other ~$100 headset. I don't plan on walking around town looking like a Borg casting reject. :)

On the whole I'm pleased with the iPhone so far. I'm carrying fewer gadgets around with me daily as I used to carry both a bulky phone and a bulky iPod from 2002. All the features work as advertised. I have my nits with the device but overall it gives me the internet in my pocket which is what I wanted most from the iPhone.

I get about 150Kbps so it's no web screamer (I get 1Mbps over my home WiFi) but when I'm on the road it gets the job done. If I'm at home and want to look up something quickly but don't feel like booting up a computer it works great too.

9. ibanezcollector

Feb 18, 2007
    Cleveland Ohio
    now thats what I was looking for thannks for the thru and thru review :)

10. Don W

Don W

Jan 30, 2004
    East Bay, CA.
    Thanks for the write up. I've been thinking about upgrading from a Treo to an iPhone for a little while now and you answered some of the questions I had.

11. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    I like Maddox's review.

12. Check out the Toshiba 900's not a bad pda/phone, notice the screen res, browsing without scrolling.

13. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Supporting Member

I would be an iPhone owner if it supported 3G.

14. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Ok. I'm sold. :D

15. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    I'd wait till they come out with a G2 iPhone.

16. Embryodead

Embryodead Banned

Nov 30, 2005
    Providence, RI
    give it a week

17. Wish they sold it unlocked ,ATT is not avaiable in Mexico.