1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Anyone on here use Best-Ears out of NC?

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by spaceaceofbass, Aug 2, 2018.

1. My band just recently built our first IEM setup and we decided to go the custom molded route for the ears. After some research, we settled on Best-Ears out of North Carolina. My ears came in this week and I am only a few weeks away from getting to use them for the first time. Just wanted to see if anyone else on here has used them and what their thoughts were.

2. s0c9

s0c9 Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2014
    Ft.Worth/Dallas
    1964 Audio artist, Fractal Audio Beta Tester
    Nope, but they remind me of 1964 Ears from years ago when they were a hungry startup. My Qi's (4-driver) were priced about the same.
    FYI - many IEM vendors us Knowles BA drivers in their products.
    What are YOUR impression of their product?
    I have not heard of them before.

3. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    No but thanks for the tip! I have been so close to pulling the trigger on some much more expensive 4 driver buds. Since these guys are only a few hours down rhe road and a LOT cheaper, I will have to give them a try.

Best Ears – Custom In-Ear Monitors

4. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    how are they with like music on your iphone?

5. That is very interesting about the Knowles drivers. I had done some research and I was aware that they were basically the same product as some of the other manufacturers from a hardware perspective.

Our drummer did the direct communication with their owner, and he said his experience was polite and professional the whole way through.

I am actually really satisfied with them from a quality perspective so far (I will post some pictures later today). With as little as I know about custom ears, I am definitely impressed out of the gate. They came in a pelican style case, with molded ear plugs, a cleaning tool and a 1/8 to 1/4 inch adapter.

As far as listening to music, I think this is definitely a hard thing to judge. I 100% heard some parts in the mid and high ranges that I had never heard before on albums I have listened to 1000's of times. I used a .flac copy of Hot Fuss for my first test. However, I wasn't blown away by the bass response. I can't help but wonder if it's because IEM's are supposed to be frequency neutral or maybe it's my terrible hearing? I am definitely withholding final judgement until I get a chance to use them at a gig.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2018
  6. Do you know if these use balanced armature drivers for bass? if so that would explain it ba's are not ideal for bass imho dynamic drivers hit harder.

7. s0c9

s0c9 Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2014
    Ft.Worth/Dallas
    1964 Audio artist, Fractal Audio Beta Tester
    Problem with dynamic over BA's for bass is that they have not yet figured out how to miniaturize the dynamics. Not much room for more than one in each ear.
    BA's can get way more.. and with appropriate xover's.. <shrug>

8. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    did they seem to seal up and block out noise from the outside world? 'cause if not then there's the problem, the fit isn't right.