Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone order an acoustic guitar from Rondo?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Stinsok, Jan 24, 2004.

1. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    My little girl is interested in learning the guitar. Went went shopping this morning for an inexpensive acoustic that would actually play (I know, I know.) I had good luck with both bass purchases from Kurt but I am wondering if the acoustics are in the same quality range? Thanks for your replies.

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I bought two of the Valencia 3/4 size nylon string guitars, for part of my kids' Christmas.

Very decent guitars, especially considering the price! $39 each, + shipping.

3. May I ask the difference between Nylon and Steel or Nickel Strings?

4. nylon/spanish/classical: nylon strings, used in everything from flamenco to classical, only fingerpicking (IIRC) flat fingerboards, wider string spacing, etc etc etc

steel string: used in rock, country etc (you know all about these im sure)

5. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I bought one of those last year as well. Fun have-around-the-house guitar, and the spacing is more like that of a bass.

6. thanks :D

7. nylon strings are softer, and have less tension. since we're talking about a beginner, the weaker uncalloused fingers will have a better time with nylon, and the interest may stay long enough to build some callouses.

8. embellisher

That's exactly why I went with the nylon string models for my kids. If they show some interest and aptitude, there will be a steel string replacement in their future(s).

Does anybody know if all nylon string guitars go out of tune a lot? Is it the nature of the stretchy string material?

9. have you tried different brands of strings? maybe the ones that came on them aren't the highest of quality...

10. Stinsok

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    Thanks Embellisher! I remember you posting that you were going to get some but I could not find that particular post. So the 39.00 guitars are actually playable?

11. embellisher

Yeah. Playability is as good as any other inexpensive nylon string I have played. The action is pretty high from the twelfth fret up, but I don't think that is an issue for a beginning guitarist.

12. Stinsok

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    We went to a couple of music stores on Saturday and let her try several types to see if she had any problems reaching over the body, all of the fingerboard etc. Her hands are big enough for a classical neck. Any of the lower line guitars were alot more expensive than the Rondo guitars and probably made at the same factory. 39.00 vs. 129.00 is a good deal.

13. yeah, the nylon stretches a lot. most steel string guitars (and basses) will hold a tuning for a reasonable amount of time, but new strings on a nylon won't hold their tune for more than about 2 minutes for the first hour or so, and even then, they stretch big time for probably about a week. my experiences with nylon are on my mother's guitar from about 30 years ago, so i've never played on a higher-end instrument, but i imagine this is a property of the strings, not the instrument.

then again, the strings don't tarnish (the unwound ones, anyway) or deaden as quickly as steel strings, so probably you won't need to change them as often.

14. embellisher

Thanks for the info. I was hoping that once they had been stretched good, that I wouldn't have to tune them all the time.