Anyone out there good at troubleshooting ... need help please

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dalley, Jan 1, 2006.

1. dalley

Jul 6, 2005
    I was wondering if anyone here has had a situation like this. My busy gig schedule and lack of a backup amp makes this an issue I need to fix fast. Anyway, here goes and please bear with me:

I just picked up a brand new GK1001RB and used it at a gig for the first time Friday night. My setup that night was BASS>Digitech BSW>Fulltone Bassdrive>Boss Bass Chorus>DOD Bass Flanger>GK1001RB-II….The amp is racked with plenty of ample room to properly vent/cool (1 rack space free above the amp). The Fulltone was used for the first time that night as well. All the effects are powered by the OneSpot multi adapter.

During the first song, the sound cut out completely (amp & Direct Out to PA as well). The amp power light was still on however and I didn’t hear any pops, static, or anything like that before it cut out. My first instinct was to quickly bypass the effects chain completely … I plugged right in to the amp from the bass and I got my sound back. For some reason, I forgot to pick up a patch cable and wound up using an old, beat up 3 foot cable instead. I automatically assumed this was the problem, removed the cable from the effects chain and I was fine the rest of the night.

So, last night I made sure I had a new patch cable and went with my original setup again. About a half hour into playing, I noticed the sound cut out for about 3 seconds and came back on. It also happened later on in the night for a second or so. So now I am confused because there are 2 new pieces of gear I used for the first time this weekend, the amp and the Fulltone Bassdrive. The other effects I’ve used together before without any problems.

So, now I have to figure out whether the problem is with the amp or the Fulltone. I loved the Fulltone so much I didn’t want to take it out of the chain for troubleshooting purposes. Has anyone had an issue to sound cutout with any of these 2 pieces of gear?
    I really would like to fix this before this coming weekend and if I have to head over to GC to exchange the amp, I will. The Fulltone is under warranty and if that was the problem, I would have to send it back to Fulltone.

Any help or experience with this would be great!
  2. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Plug in one component at a time until the system stops working, the last thing you plugged in is the culprit.
  3. dalley

Jul 6, 2005
    I totally agree but my only fear is that if the problem is with the amp, it might not be as nice to me and stay off next time and not come back on :eek:
  4. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    How are you connecting this chain together? If it's with short patch cords, I'd be suspicious that one of those may be going south on you.

Also, I've never used your particular head - but if it has an effects loop, as most do, I'd be inclined to plug those pedals into the send & return of the effects loop, while plugging my bass directly into the head's input. That way, if there is a gremlin in one of them (or the patch cables), you can quickly hit a button to disable the effects loop and get your sound back.

As Bill said, the only way to really know is by trying your effects one at a time.... cables also...... do you have a DI box that can be used to play straight through the PA if the need arises?