Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone out there in journalism/ news writing?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Nick Gann, Feb 13, 2003.

1. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    Hey all, I'm doing a research paper for english about the ethics of the media, and I was wondering if anyone out there is in journalism or news witing/reporting. Anyone out there who can help me, answer a few questions, will be greatly appreciated :D

Thanks a lot,
    Nick

2. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Ha! :D

Isn't that a bit like writing a paper on the bass playing skills of a man with no arms? :D

3. rustyshakelford

rustyshakelford

Jul 9, 2002
    I am not in the media.

I recall an interesting article a few months ago about job satisfaction. A study found job satisfaction varies by profession and over time.

The two examples provided in the article were genetic researcher and journalist.

The study found people in genetics research were mostly satisfied with their jobs. Interesting, promising, fulfilling, important.

Journalism on the other hand has changed a lot in the last 30 years. After Watergate, there was a surge in journalism majors.

In recent years, these journalists have become disillusioned with Monicagate, Rupert Murdoch, editorial pieces disguised as news, etc., .

rs

4. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    that is one of the biggest problems.

and are you just doing print media? televised media...oh, boy. two words: Fox News.

5. Nick Gann

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    Hey, thanks for the responses. To clarify, I am looking for people to "interview" (send maybe 10-15 questions via e-mail) who are in the media business. People who write the stories in the news papers, on the network news, on CNN, all that stuff.

6. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    last time i checked, our own dave siff worked for cnn, on their web site, specifically.

7. Nick Gann

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    Yeah, he sent me a PM about it already, I just havent had a chance to respond because my questions are at school, so I will respond tomorrow while in english.

Thanks for the suggestion John :) Any others? :D

8. jcadmus

jcadmus

Apr 2, 2000
    I was a reporter for about four years after college.

I've been in public relations, working with the media, for about 15 years since then.

If I make the cut, I'd be glad to help out.