Anyone out there playing a 34" 6 string tuned EADGBE?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mike_odonovan, Mar 3, 2005.

1. i AM a BASSplayer but was thinking it could be fun to use some classical guitar chops i have on a bass and just wondered whether anyone else has any experience/thoughts on this kind of instrument before i investigate further.

i searched but just found stuff about the fender VI and am thinking about guitar tuning but with standard bass string spacing and the normal 34" length.

2. But I wonder if doing the opposite(tuning a guitar EADGCF) would work at all.
  3. FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    That would work, I guess. It's only a semitone up on those two strings...
  4. FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    That would work, I guess. It's only a semitone up on those two strings...
  5. DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    I swapped a few emails with Rob Green a couple of months ago about building a version of this custom Status Electro:

EADGBE tuning; 32" scale, 6 strings on a 5-string neck (so tight spacing), hollowbody.

Attached Files:

6. I think John Turner has one or two of his 7-strings tuned B-E-A-D-G-B-E (just like a 7-string guitar but one octave lower). I'm pretty sure there are many others who do it as well.

That would work, but I don't see any advantages. Chording would become a major pain in the arse.
  7. i don't see any advantage to having a guitar tuned CF at the top two strings as i think the standard guitar tuning is really essential to playing chord structures effectively. on bass this is not an issue so the tuning in stritch fourths is more appealing for its simplicity. just my thoughts. still curious why the EADGBE is still quite rare. what are the dissadvantages? can see that slapping might be a nightmare. any other thoughts?
  8. Kelly Coyle

Kelly Coyle Supporting Member

Nov 16, 2004
    Mankato, MN
    Stanley Jordan tunes his guitar all in fourths. I'm sure he isn't alone in that.

The old Fender six string basses were tuned like a guitar, down an octave. Of course, they were 30". I have my 6 string bass tuned EADGCF, FWIW, because I've never liked having a low B.
  9. I tune my eight string BEADGCEA, which has guitar intervals on the top six strings. Before I converted it from a seven, I tuned it BEADGBE. Killer for chording.
  10. amper

Dec 4, 2002
    Now *that* I'd like to see!
  11. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    I tune my sixer, BEADGB
    Works for me?
  12. Joelc73

Joelc73 Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2000
    New York
    Robert Smith played a Fender Bass VI on a lot of the classic Cure tunes with great success. He used the instrument in a very musical and melodic way.