Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone out there PREFER the stamped bridge?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RBrownBass, Aug 15, 2005.

1. RBrownBass

RBrownBass Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2004
    I just got a Hamer Slammer series J-style, and I'm finding that I can't get the strings as low as I'd like with the stock Schaller roller bridge. I could replace it with a higher-end bridge, but it seems that I might run into the same problem with a Badass, Hipshot or Wilkinson (if anyone has the minimum string height from the surface of the body allowed by each or either of these bridges, feel free to post it here). So... I'm thinking about a traditional Fender-style stamped bridge. Is there anyone out there who does not consider the heavier bridges as superior? I'm curious about your opinions either way.

Also, I'd like to know more about this bass. It's a Jazz copy, Korean made, rear routed, comma shaped pg. Headstock has a big "Hamer" with "slammer series" underneath.

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

highly unlikely but you might check to see if there's a spacer plate in the Schaller. They're hard to notice unless you look for them. That would up it an 1/8" or so.

Hambone mentioned something in a post in the luthiers forum regarding some bridges that appear to be cast that aren't. If you you're interested you can do a search and try and locate it.

I use the Schaller rollers on my Ibanez and I'm up for a 5'vr so it that's a 5 and you want to chuck it let me know.

The Schallers on the Ibe were no problem pretty close to the stock Ibanez which are a standard fender looking setup.

3. FireAarro

FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    austr-
    You could shim the neck.

4. Mr_Dave

Mr_Dave

Mar 11, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Employee - Basscentre Melbourne
    hi,

i have a 75 jazz which i have a badass on and i like.

however i put a badass on my cij 62 reissue fender jazz and i didn't like it. too much attack, loss of bottom end, not that classic round sound i was after. so i learnt a lesson. stock bridge went back on and stayed on.

5. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    I have 3 fender basses, all of which have their usual thin bridgeplates...and I've never felt the need to change any of them out. I think they sound great.

6. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    I have a Schaller roller bridge on my custom jazz 4, and it seems to do the trick pretty handily... I have pretty low action. Are you sure it's the bridge that's holding you up, and not another part of your setup?

7. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    There are a few different versions of the Shaller roller bridge. The classic one that HollowMan's bass has and that you usually see on customs and in catalogs, and a cheaper OEM one used on some higher quality budget imports. My brother's DeArmond has the latter cheaper version. Still a great bridge, but significantly scaled down from the original.

That bass you have is a Hamer "Cruise" bass in Hamer's budget import "slammer" series. If you got a good one, it's quite a find, they can be really excellent basses. I would bring it to your local luthier for a set-up if I were you, or shim the neck before going to a replacement bridge.

A Fender style bent metal bridge will give you more of a plunky feel, which some (including me) actually prefer over the zingy high-mass feel and sound. It may be worth looking for, but most likely will not be a direct drop-in, and will probably require drilling new holes. I used to have the old bridge from my MIM Jazz laying around somewhere, let me look for it tonight. It's perfectly adequate and does impart a particular tonality and feel.

I don't know if a bent metal style bridge will let you go lower with the saddles than you already can, though. Changing the bridge in your particular situation may not accomplish anything at all.

8. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
    A couple of comments to follow up on Phil and Aaron's points.

I'll bet dollars to donuts that the issue isn't your bridge at all. It's your setup. Your neck very likely needs a shim--take it to a tech (or, if you're comfortable removing the neck, lay a 3/4 inch strip of business card at the back of the neck pocket and retighten all screws. You'll find that your saddles will need to go back up into the air again.

One more thing--shimming is an art, since the geometry of a shimmed neck makes high frets want to buzz. Thick shims make it worse. You gotta try to find a happy medium, which usually takes the form of using the thinnest shim you can get away with.

Good luck!

9. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    I agree that it is probably the setup, but I have a stamped bridge on my pbass. However, it is not the origional. In a trade for some parts (from here I think) I got a stamped bridge that was almost identical to the one I had, but made of metal that was about 50 percent thicker. I haven't noticed a huge difference because I changed the pickup about the same time and the pickup sounds so much better that I'm not sure if it is the pickup or the bridge. Its probably both.

10. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    USA
    Is is also important to do the following:

1. Put thumbs on one string both in front of and behind the saddle.
    2. Push down firmly on both at the same time

This helps establish the "break point" of the string over the saddle. You want a nice clean edge. Knife's edge, if possible.