Anyone out there run their SWR 750X at 2.6 ohms?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by The Regulator, Aug 10, 2005.

1. The Regulator

The Regulator

Aug 10, 2005
    I recently purchased an SWR 750X. I am running it at 4 ohms through an Ampeg SVT 410hlf 500 watt cabinet that I owned before I purchased the head. Before getting the SWR I had a Hartke 300 watt head and it just was not cutting it. Even though the 750X is loud, for my purposes I need a bit more volume. I was thinking about purchasing an 8 ohm 2 x 10 cabinet to add to my rig. But before I do it I was wondering if there are any of you out there who run this amp at 2.6 ohms? How does it sound? Does it get really hot? Would you recommend doing this?
    Any other tips would be helpful.

Thank You
  2. I ran a 350x at 2 ohms regularly without incident, and a noticeable increase in volume.

Interestingly, I notice the current 350x manual no longer advocates running the head with a load less than 4 ohms... Read into that what you will :eyebrow:
  3. Call SWR service dept, they should be able to put you in touch with people who run the amp at 2.6 ohms... :D

Seriously, I just looked it up at ZZ sounds, its rated 850W @ 2.6 ohms, min load is 2.6 ohms. So it ought to be safe. It will run hotter than at 4 ohms.

4. Funkengrooven

Funkengrooven Turn it down? You gotta be nuts!!

is this an SWR SWR or a Fender SWR??
    if it is an SWR SWR then you will not have a problem.
    SWR rated that amp to be run as low as 2 ohms so you should not be concerned, just don't block the fan inlets and outlets and you will be fine.
    and yeah your volume will go up quite a bit.
    If it is a Fender SWR you can expect that Fender will institute cost cutting and the first victims will be the quality (read expensive) parts.
    For instance, original SWR's used Mercury Magnetics transformers (from California)
    These are the Ferarri of transformers, real clean, custom wound, little or no spurious harmonics generated, quality laminations, voidless Iron cores etc,... look for Fender to replace them with something cheeper (like Taiwan or China), I'd bet one of my basses on it.
  5. dont

Jul 25, 2004
    I have an SWR Bass 750 that I ran through three eight home 212 Eden cabs for quite a while with no problem at all---that is the 2.67 ohm load you are asking about.
  6. I ran my SWR 350x at 2.67 ohm. I did not like the results. The clean headroom went way down. Distortion was much easier to obtain.
    I went back to 4 ohms.
  7. lowrez

lowrez no.

Nov 27, 2004
    New Englandish
    My little SWR still has the "Mercury Magnetics" transformer in it and it is only a couple years old. I'll take the DP Custom from what ya got listed. ;)
  8. I ran my 750x at 4 ohms and it got quite hot. The reason being that SWR uses an aluminum chassis for better heat transfer. The chassis acts like a heat sink. I never ran it at 2.6 ohms and I wouldn't ever want to.