1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Anyone out there using a Barefaced super fifteen

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by nevp, Dec 20, 2011.

1. nevp

nevp

Jun 30, 2011
    Yorkshire UK
    well my quest for a new rig is almost at an end>

The amp is pretty much sorted, Genz Benz Shuttlemax 9.2 and i thought i was going to go with the stores recommended 2x Berg 112's.

But i dropped a line to Alex at Barefaced and after some consideration he has suggested i try a super fifteen cab.I don't know anyone with Barefaced cabs and have never heard one so i was just looking for some thoughts on what people really think to them.

I have used the search on here and know there can be some gripes about the finish on them,i also know they can run very loud but was looking for some input on what sort of tone i can expect to get.

As always any advice greatly appreciated.

2. All I know is I want one too!!

3. Not me.

However: The super15 is equivalent to 2 compacts. I built myself something similar to 2 compacts, but operated with a horn in one of them.

I can run the one without the horn full range, in this case is 99% equivalent to a Barefaced Compact in terms of driver, similar box volume and I guess similar tuning.

My conclusions: High end is enough, surprisingly good for me (and I have always been a tweeter guy). Good lows without boominess or strange resonances (forget "15's are boomy by nature") and, most importantly impressive, massive efficiency. A few watts are very loud using these drivers in these boxes.

The lows are very strong up to very loud levels.

If you are a 4x10 or 8x10 guy, you'll clearly hear that all claims for the Super15 are very true.

I think this explains why you can see a trial period that is not common in a small company like BF.

4. I believe Alex has greatly improved his fit and finish, and I don't think that is an issue at this point, based on recent reviews.

Here is a clip of what I believe is a pretty similarly spec'd 15 cab (i.e., similar tuning and box size, and the Eminence 3015 (non LF) driver.

+1 to the post above... loud, punchy down low, and suprisingly bright up top. Nice 'grind' to the voicing, and a very good efficiency (loud per watt). Very nice 'modern/vintage' hybrid tone.

Alex will be along and can comment if the cab in my clip is in the same general tone area as his, since I haven't heard his execution.

LDS 15HO/Sadowsky/Markbass F500 by kjung | iCompositions - Music

Edit: Take into account that the cab is being driven by a very clean head, and that the bass is a rather aggressive Sadowsky J with single coils and stainless steel roundwounds. That really brings out the upper mid brightness and grindiness of the cab on that particular clip. These cabs can be fattened up and smoothed out also with a more organic voiced head and a less aggressive instrument with nickel wounds or whatever.

5. sk8

sk8

May 10, 2007
    United Kingdom
    Extended Audio Design Foundation 212 could be another option

Website here

Really great cab

6. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    I think a Compact would sound pretty similar to that LDS 15HO but with a bit more depth/fatness to the bottom. The Super Fifteen would sound quite a lot fatter and bigger because of the two woofers coupling at lower frequencies. Obviously with these kind of cabs the sound you get out depends very much on the sound you put in but that clip of Ken's nicely illustrates the treble extension - you can get more brightness with EQ but the vibe remains much the same.

7. He Alex. I had my models mixed up. I was thinking the Super 15 was the single driver model. +1 to your comments regarding the bigger low end with that bigger dual driver box.

I do love the top end of those particular cab designs.... crunchy and organic, and that sort of upper mid/lower treble slots itself in the mix very nicely!

8. nevp

nevp

Jun 30, 2011
    Yorkshire UK
    Thanks guys,

Ken, that soundbite is pretty much what i was hoping for, sounds great.

Alex, just sorting out the funds and my order will be on it's way !!

9. +1, me too!!!

nevp - Mr. Foxen has one and said he loves it.

10. 4-string

4-string

Jul 23, 2006
    Norway
    Re fit and finish, you have nothing to worry about IMO. In fact, I have never seen a cab as solidly built as my Barefaced Big Twin T - it is super light weight, silly loud, and there's no rattle or buzz or anything but clean, loud bass. Nice. :)

The finish might be up for debate, as that is a matter of personal taste. I like it the way it is, while some people prefer rat fur, tolex or whatever.

11. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    those look cool....

12. Hi 4-String - what kind of finish do the Barefaced speakers have (roadworthy)? Thanks

13. 4-string

4-string

Jul 23, 2006
    Norway
    I don't know exactly what it is, but some kind of spray on coating. Seems roadworthy to me.

14. nevp

nevp

Jun 30, 2011
    Yorkshire UK

Just glad it's not rat fur.Hate the stuff !!!

Will probably end up getting a Roqsolid cover for it anyway just to keep it looking good.

15. 4-string

4-string

Jul 23, 2006
    Norway
    I got a cover from Roqsolid as well. Very nice!

16. Mr. Foxen

Mr. Foxen Commercial User

Jul 24, 2009
    Bristol, UK
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    Here's mine in action pose. I dual rig to fill in for lack of guitarist:
    barefacedcab001.