1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Anyone out there using an active bass with flats for rock/funk?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Baird6869, Sep 20, 2008.

1. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

I threw a set of Chromes on my Sadowsky NYC 4 for a rock gig last night and I am blown away. Best tone I have ever heard!

I played through a SVT-CL and a Sadowsky 4x10. Honestly, in 20+ years of playing bass I have never heard such a good tone.

Suprisingly, the Chromes on my Sadowsky sounded great even for RHCP and other funky stuff with slap. Slapping on a bass with flats? Who knew!?!?!:hyper:

Anyone else using flats on an active bass for rock/funk gigs?

2. Be warned: Not all flats are like Chromes. Chromes are much brighter in the beginning than others: they'll mellow out after a while but still sound great. Just so ya know!

3. atauntaun

atauntaun

Sep 14, 2008
    Alameda, CA
    Endorser Jule Amps Monique
    Actually I just strung up my Music Man with Lakland Joe Osborn flats today. I have not really been able to try them out yet, but I like the way they feel. I rarely ever change my strings, once every few years. I put flats on hoping they would have a mellower sound right out of the gate, instead of waiting for them to die. I guess we'll see how well it works out.

4. bovinehost

bovinehost Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    Flats on an active bass? Well, yeah.

Funk, not so much....everything else, sure!

the but you knew that already,

Jack

5. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    Not active but I use GHS Precision flats on my 08 Precision through a Mesa 400+ and Berg NV610 and NV215.

Very punchy. :D

6. as always, I have a HUGE desire to try out flats, but as always, I have never been brave enough to do so, as I am afraid to leave the safety of my elixir SS's

7. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I run EBMM Group 1s on anything that can take them; major exceptions are Status Graphite flats on the Steinberger and Labella nylon tapes on the Tacoma ABG. I like my basses to sound like basses.

8. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    I used to use a Steve Harris set on a Cort with two MM humbuckers, actve pre, tuned to Eb, for all the Gunz N' Rosez and hard rock stuff. Just the right amount of growl.

9. scootron

scootron Supporting Member

Jul 17, 2007
    Moved to Texas
    I use flats with active pups all the time for rock, but that is the sound I want with my band.

10. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

True enough.

The Chromes I gigged with on my Sadowsky were brand new. The ones that got me hooked were a few years old though. I pulled them off my '74 P and tried them on the Sadowsky.

I think the fact that a Sadowky can almost be too bright (I NEVER gig a Sadowsky with new rounds. Sounds terrible IMO) heps the flats be brighter than on most other basses.

I am gigging my 1992 Sadowsky NYC Jazz 4 and a 30th Anni Stingray with rounds for the forseeable future. Should cover me for all types of mysic I play!

11. superfunk47

superfunk47

Sep 9, 2007
    Not active, but I've had flats on my 08 J for a couple of months. I even slap on them a fair amount, and it sounds good even though the flats are about a year old. In a band mix, you'd be surprised at how good it can sound. A very old school slap tone though, not the least bit modern. It sounds nice to me! I play everything from swing and smooth jazz to latin to funk to rock and reggae. the flats and jazz do it all! :hyper:

12. WarriorJoe7

WarriorJoe7 Banned

Mar 12, 2004
    Syracuse, NY
    Flats on a TBC M upgraded to nordstrand/aguilar. Killer reggae bass.

13. mrjim123

mrjim123 Supporting Member

May 17, 2008
    Indy
    I just put TI jazz flats on my new G&L Tribute L2K because I thought it was overall just a bit too bright sounding.

They sound great in active or passive mode and, although I haven't gigged out with them yet, I would not not hesitate to play any style of music with them, unless I just had to have that Geddy / Chris Squire growl.

I plan to stay with flats. My next string experiment, if ever, will be a set of LaBella flats.

14. ibanezcollector

ibanezcollector Yoyo's Hurt When You Crank It Into Your Face

Feb 18, 2007
    Cleveland Ohio
    I use flats on everything... And the bass you bought Brent has Flats as well :)

15. NorCal Dog

NorCal Dog

Nov 28, 2005
    415/707
    i've got a set of TI flats on my Lakland 55-01

it friggin rocks :D

16. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Yes, I have played active & fretted basses with flats. I've even recorded some a few years ago.

(strings were SIT flats... which actually are groundwounds not true flats like I was lead to believe. All recorded those tracks in 2003)

17. Jazzdogg

Jazzdogg Less barking, more wagging!

Jul 29, 2006
    San Diego, CA

Why not? Perhaps it has to do with the way each of us defines "funk," but I haven't found any style of music that my flats won't accommodate with an active fiver and a suitable amp and cab.

18. newbold

newbold

Sep 21, 2008
    Toronto
    what about tapewounds?

19. SwitchGear

SwitchGear Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2005
    Wisconsin
    Not an active bass, but a Lakland DJ5 I once owned sported a set of flats and was so righteous sounding, till I installed a set of rounds.

20. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    I use flats on almost all my basses. And yes, I have Chromes on my Sadowsky Metro UV70. Sounds great for rock; but admittedly, I'm not much of a slapper.