Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone out there using the Gary Karr method books?

Discussion in 'Orchestral Technique [DB]' started by mike_odonovan, Apr 20, 2005.

1. I have been reading the "Simandl is boring?" thread today and i just thought i would throw this question out to see if anyone else is using Karr's books? His approach is quite different to what my teacher tought me, but i am finding it more intuitive to my body type and needs.
    anyone practising with this method and care for a discuss?

2. Shmelbee

Shmelbee

Mar 28, 2005
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Im sorry, I dont use his methods, but I would love to. I just dont have any dollars to purchase the aforementioned items.

Im going to study with hm at KK this summer. What do you like about his methods. What are the focal points of the books? Is there anything that he is lacking in them?

3. jsbachsonata

jsbachsonata

Mar 30, 2005
    I'm studying under the Gary Karr method because my teacher is a student of his... it focuses a lot on bass balance and posture for better shifting. It's quite different to the Simandl way that i learned for a while... it also emphasizes the use of the back for bowing and the importance bowing in relation to shifting. Give it a try.. it's really good, but some of the stuff is so hard to play well and can be frustrating trying to play well.

4. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    Where can you get his Book?.. I met one of his students yesterday and was blown away by his playing. I am sure studying with the 'Man' is better but having the book is a step in the right direction..

5. jsbachsonata pretty much describes the emphasis of the technique. there is a big concentration on keeping a slow bow speed. The books describe it all really well.

i have a specific question that jsbachsonata could maybe answer.
    In the 1st book the exersizes on the "Koussevitzkyt" harmonics are ok for me except on the E string which i find very frustrating. i can't seem to draw the bow slow enough to only use a 1/4 bow stroke and still get a good sound. does it just take lots of persistance?

as was mentioned before the excersizes are very simple but can still be very frustrating to perfect.

my old german bow teacher was an exponant of the loose bending right wrist when changing bow direction. this always felt weird to me and i find the karr, whole arm and back muscles approach gets me a much smoother direction change.

6. LM Bass

LM Bass

Jul 19, 2002
    Vancouver, BC
    Hi,

I studied at the Karr Kamp one summer, and Gary's technique exercises are great! The books are well thought out, but you have to take it slow and make sure you are really getting the point of each exercise. Gary has SO much sound, and yet he plays in a very relaxed manner. Great books, and along with Simandl, Storch, Findeisen, Bille, they're really useful. (IMHO)

Laurence

7. I bought the first book just to see what was in it. I'd been looking for different teaching methods to see what the new ideas were and his approach looks very user friendly. Especially the approach to positions, starting lower on the fingerboard and also starting the exercises with all fingers on the string. It's easier for unconditioned hand and finger muscles to lift off rather than press down. I've also looked at some of Caroline Emory's material. There's a lot of good ideas floating around.
    It's not the easiest thing to learn how to play. We need all the help we can get.
    bdj

8. TeHarr

TeHarr

Nov 8, 2005
    Winnipeg
    There is a line of really good books out there by Isia Bille. The studies are a really good workout, and much less boring than Simandl can tend to be. There's a book called 'Kreutzer 18 Studies' that's also good for pretty much everything...

Give it a try!