Anyone own 2 of the exact same basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by kingbrutis, Dec 8, 2004.

1. kingbrutis

Aug 10, 2003
    Phoenix AZ
    Just wondering if I was weird. I love my bass an am thinking about buying another in a different color. I could also tune one standard and one BEAD. What do you think? Thanks Joe
  2. marc40a

Mar 20, 2002
    Boston MA
    Not weird at all... as long as you're using them.
  3. i'm thinking about that, cept one fretless and one fretted
  4. bluemonk

Dec 17, 2002
    Not weird. You got a different role for each one.

Anyway, metaphysically, you can't have the same bass twice, now can you?
  5. BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    i think even two of the same exact basses won't sound exactly the same
  6. ive tried many mim fender js that dont come close to the feel of mine. i will never get rid of that bass.
  7. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Exactly. I had three Stingray 5's on stage with me at one point, and not only did they sound different from each other, they played much differently, and that was even after extensive tweaking to get them to play as similarly as possible.

Eventually, I just brought two to gigs, one as a backup. The one that became my main 'Ray was the one with the best sound and playability of the bunch (I've owned 5 at one time). My black one is the top of the heap, by far. Interestingly it has the oldest serial number of the bunch.
  8. troll

Aug 31, 2000
    Chicago area
    I have two Cirrus alder/maples but one is a 5, the other a 4. Oddly enough they sound completely different. I like both for specific reasons, and I just can't seem to get away from switching back and forth between them, even though they sound different. The fretboard of the 4 is a bit lighter in color, actually significantly so, so I'm not sure if they are in fact different, and no it's not maple ;) But it is so much thinner and flatter than the 5. I wonder if all that extra wood really makes it sound that much beefier, I have to run the lows almost flat or it sounds too boomy, compared to the 4 that I have to boost all the lows to sound similiar.

Ideally I'd run the 5 standard and the 4 drop D all the time, since we have a 40/60 split of both tunings, but they sound too different to switch cleanly on stage... :( I think one will go eventually, not sure which. I am GASsing for a jazz style maple boarded thing to try and get a Marcus kind of tone. I think that would still work real well in our slightly metal sound and be awesome for the slap/groovy parts.

Sorry, enough babbling.

9. luknfur

Jan 14, 2004

Yes, if you like the feel/play and want something similar but different.

No, if you're looking for exactly the same thing you get from the other tuned BEAD - fat chance but probably more likely than going to a different bass.

I have 5 of the same bass that range acoustically from thudder to bright and they all respond differently to the same pups using the same rigging and same strings. With the exception of one, they really play pretty much the same way, minute difference in that respect.

Just know beforehand, they may sound worlds apart.

There ain't no secret in no wood. The secret's in the finished product. And that ain't no secret.
  10. Beammeup

Oct 7, 2002

I currently don't own "twins", but I would like to.

My main bass is a Fender Jazz Bass '62 RI (CIJ).
    I'm always looking for one more.

Therefore I don't think it would be weird :eek:
  11. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    I bought 2 Yamaha RBX-775's when they were being discontinued last spring at almost the same time. I got the first, found it fit both my sound as well as my body so well that I ordered a second 10 days later.

At the prices they were going for plus the pricematching and other discounts I was able to get (all told, about 73% off list) I found I could have a "matching set" of quality, "mid-level" basses for less than one would have sold for pre-discontinuation. The plan is to defret one after the holiday season buzz dies down and I can spend the time needed for a quality job on it.
  12. I've got two Reverend Rumblefish J/J 4-strings.. #47 and #62. They're identical except one's blue with a white pearl pickguard and the other is white with a tort guard. The blue one is my favorite bass ever, so I figured, why not have two?
  13. NV43345

Apr 1, 2003
    I have 2 of an Acoustic Bass made by Sam Ash,called Carlo
    Robeli. They are a rip off of the Martin,but they were cheap
    and they sound good. I liked the first one so much I bought
    a second one and had it De-Fretted.
  14. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    I've got two Jon Shuker 6 strings. They're identical (see my icon), except that one is a fretted and the other is a lined fretless. The two necks were even cut from the exact same laminated blank. I love having two near-identical instruments because it minimizes any adjustment time I might need when switching basses. It was never a huge problem for me, but now it's no problem at all. For some folks, I'm sure adjusting to switching basses hasn't ever been an issue. To them I would simply say, having a matched pair of basses just looks cool. To me, anyway.:cool:
  15. BassFelt

Mar 26, 2002
    I've bought a spare for my Takamine B10. I'm always worried about it getting damaged by the airport monkeys, so when I had the opportunity to get a used one for a good price I went for it.
  16. Suckbird

Suckbird Banned

May 4, 2004
    Bovinehost has alot of bongo basses, but they have different configurations off string and pickup combinations etc.
    I think it looks cool to have a pair of the same bass, like someone here has 2 mvp pedulla in same colour, cute.
  17. The Hammer

The Hammer

Jul 13, 2004
    If you are gigging it is a great idea to have a backup and if you are happy with a particular type of bass then why not 2 of the same?
  18. craigb

craigb Supporting Member

I've done it at times (3 G&L SB-2s at once, 2 MTD Beasts, 2 Rumblefish P-Js) because I thought I'd found "the one" and could settle down with a pair of them. However, for me, that was never the case. I always ended up GASing for something else and parting with at least one of my pair.

Now I'm going for the "variety" factor in my small stable of basses so when I get a hankering for a different sound I just switch to a different bass as my "current number one".

If you can be happy and control the GAS then I think 2 of the same thing can be a good way to go. You can do different tunings (EADG and BEAD), different string types (flats and rounds) or even go with one fretted and one fretless.
  19. lowrez

lowrez no.

Nov 27, 2004
    New Englandish
    Nothing strange about twins I think. I play both a fretted and fretless Sterling.. different finishes..but similar planks.
  20. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Tucson, AZ USA
    I just bought a second F Bass BN5 as a back up. Occassionally, I'll break a string, or the neck relief might shift due to weather. It's nice to have a back up bass that has the same sound, feel, tone, etc. Redundant? sure. But once I found my sound and feel, that is what I wanted from every other bass. Where did I find that same sound, tone and feel? In the same bass as my primary instrument. Made sense to me.