1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Anyone Own a Fostex X-14?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by minkis, Dec 6, 2000.

1. minkis

minkis

Sep 8, 2000
    Does anyone have any suggestions for recording bass tracks on the fostex x-14? every time i record it ends up sounding twangy. i set it up by plugging my sansamp into the recorder and my bass into the sansamp. should i plug into an amp also? my bass is active too, but i dont know if that makes a difference. if anyone has any tips or suggestions please let me know.

2. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Moved to "Recording Gear & Equipment"

Will C.:cool:

3. I don't use a preamp when I go into my Tascam MK14 but I've found that if i just go direct i can get that twangy sound too. I've found that heavier strings help, a bit less midrange and most of all mic-ing my amp in addition to a direct line in. It's a good balance between the lows and highs.

4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I have a Fostex X-15, although I haven't used it for about 10 years! I do remember it was difficult to get a decent bass sound, but I never went in direct, I always used a mixing desk - 8-4-2 - in front of the inputs and used various combinations of things to get better sounds.