Anyone Own a Fostex X-14?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by minkis, Dec 6, 2000.

1. minkis

Sep 8, 2000
    Does anyone have any suggestions for recording bass tracks on the fostex x-14? every time i record it ends up sounding twangy. i set it up by plugging my sansamp into the recorder and my bass into the sansamp. should i plug into an amp also? my bass is active too, but i dont know if that makes a difference. if anyone has any tips or suggestions please let me know.
  2. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Moved to "Recording Gear & Equipment"

Will C.:cool:
  3. I don't use a preamp when I go into my Tascam MK14 but I've found that if i just go direct i can get that twangy sound too. I've found that heavier strings help, a bit less midrange and most of all mic-ing my amp in addition to a direct line in. It's a good balance between the lows and highs.
  4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I have a Fostex X-15, although I haven't used it for about 10 years! I do remember it was difficult to get a decent bass sound, but I never went in direct, I always used a mixing desk - 8-4-2 - in front of the inputs and used various combinations of things to get better sounds.