Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone own a Gecko?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by darkspec, Aug 23, 2004.

1. darkspec

darkspec

Jan 2, 2003
    Cleveland Ohio
    Hey guys, I always like the body shape of the Gecko but not the inlay. I sometimes have dreams of a Flat Black 6 string Gecko...Ahh, how beautiful. Anyways, they can now omit the Gecko inlay for 35$ and I may want to build one so does anyone ahve any comments on balance? Sound? looks? Or service?

2. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Umm, I know Nino & Jome have both built at least one...

3. JOME77

JOME77

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    Still loving the sound of the Gecko! I originally didn't like the Gecko inlay either but after seeing one with the right wood combinations I changed my mind. It kind of grows on you! :D
    The balance on my Gecko is good but I do have a very heavy walnut body. Obviously your wood choices will determine just how balanced the instrument is. Warmoth has always provided good sevice for me (I've built a combination of about 10 basses and guitars using their necks and bodies).
    To check out the details on my Gecko go to the following link:

http://www.warmoth.com/gallery/gallery.cfm?fuseaction=include_gecko

If you've got additonal questions let me know.

4. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    All I know is, that figured Walnut top is friggen AWESOME, Joe... My next build will have it...

Personally, I don't mind the inlay at all... so long as the color tones used are classy looking.

5. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
  6. JOME77

JOME77

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    Thanks McHack! The walnut's a great wood to finish in tung oil too. Nothing like feeling the wood! :)

7. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    The bass balanced excellently.
    Looks. I think it looks KILLER even though I'm a Jazz and Spector shape lover.
    Sounds: It all depends on the woods, pickups, preamp, etc.
    Service: Warmoth service and quality is EXCELLENT!!! All Valenti basses are build using Warmoth necks & bodies. That's how much faith I have in Warmoth products.

8. not_jason

not_jason

Aug 4, 2004
    Maine
    [​IMG]

i hate light colored fretboards, that exact shade of blue, weird inlays, those sorts of body shapes, and typically almost anything without a pickguard...

but i really like that bass anyway. you've done an amazing job messing with the wiring of my brain.

9. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Honestly, I really liked how this one turned out... IMHO, I think the gold bridge & tuners was NOT a bad thing for this bass.. Everyone around here hates gold, but I like it on this one. Also, the birdseye fb rocks, WITH the logo there.

10. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    I'm totally with not_jason on this kind of thing. Nino(and a few others I have seen here) can take elements that I would never pick and turn them into a bass I find awesome. How does he do that?