1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Anyone own a Gecko?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by darkspec, Aug 23, 2004.

1. darkspec

darkspec

Jan 2, 2003
    Cleveland Ohio
    Hey guys, I always like the body shape of the Gecko but not the inlay. I sometimes have dreams of a Flat Black 6 string Gecko...Ahh, how beautiful. Anyways, they can now omit the Gecko inlay for 35$ and I may want to build one so does anyone ahve any comments on balance? Sound? looks? Or service?

2. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Umm, I know Nino & Jome have both built at least one...

3. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    Still loving the sound of the Gecko! I originally didn't like the Gecko inlay either but after seeing one with the right wood combinations I changed my mind. It kind of grows on you! :D
    The balance on my Gecko is good but I do have a very heavy walnut body. Obviously your wood choices will determine just how balanced the instrument is. Warmoth has always provided good sevice for me (I've built a combination of about 10 basses and guitars using their necks and bodies).
    To check out the details on my Gecko go to the following link:

http://www.warmoth.com/gallery/gallery.cfm?fuseaction=include_gecko

If you've got additonal questions let me know.

4. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    All I know is, that figured Walnut top is friggen AWESOME, Joe... My next build will have it...

Personally, I don't mind the inlay at all... so long as the color tones used are classy looking.

5. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
  6. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    Thanks McHack! The walnut's a great wood to finish in tung oil too. Nothing like feeling the wood! :)

7. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    The bass balanced excellently.
    Looks. I think it looks KILLER even though I'm a Jazz and Spector shape lover.
    Sounds: It all depends on the woods, pickups, preamp, etc.
    Service: Warmoth service and quality is EXCELLENT!!! All Valenti basses are build using Warmoth necks & bodies. That's how much faith I have in Warmoth products.

8. not_jason

not_jason

Aug 4, 2004
    Maine
    [​IMG]

i hate light colored fretboards, that exact shade of blue, weird inlays, those sorts of body shapes, and typically almost anything without a pickguard...

but i really like that bass anyway. you've done an amazing job messing with the wiring of my brain.

9. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Honestly, I really liked how this one turned out... IMHO, I think the gold bridge & tuners was NOT a bad thing for this bass.. Everyone around here hates gold, but I like it on this one. Also, the birdseye fb rocks, WITH the logo there.

10. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    I'm totally with not_jason on this kind of thing. Nino(and a few others I have seen here) can take elements that I would never pick and turn them into a bass I find awesome. How does he do that?