Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone own a Hartke 120W Kickback Combo?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by yawnsie, Jan 20, 2001.

1. yawnsie

yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    London
    I was looking on the net for a new amp (That damn GAS has struck me down again!) and I found what the aforementioned amp, which looks quite good. However, before I go through with the hassle of ordering one and deciding I don't like it, I thought I'd ask if anyone here has one, and if so, are they any good? The cost is $379, is this is a decent price to pay for one?

2. I dont have one personally, but my church has one. It sounds alright and can put out quite a bit of sound when tilted back, but just seemed to lack the power needed to go unmiked. In the worship center it is used more as a bass monitor and goes into the p.a. One dislike is that I have found that the power cord can fall out every once in a while and it is in a recess and takes a minute to get it back in...

3. jhbass

jhbass

Jan 21, 2001
    I've had a Kickback 12 for about 3 years and it's a rugged little unit with a decent sound. It works great as a monitor speaker which is why I bought it in the first place. The only thing I don't really care for is the sound of the aluminium speaker cone. It's a great sound for funk or slap and pop, but most of what I play is a bit more mellow. It does cut through the sound of the band so you can hear yourself well though. Overall a good amp for the price.

4. yawnsie

yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    London
    Thanks for the advice - hopefully, the shipping won't put it past my price range. One of the things that attracted me to it is the fact that it can be tipped on it's side and used as a monitor, so I still have a use for it when I buy my big stack. (Whenever that may be...)

5. jhbass

jhbass

Jan 21, 2001
    The going rate for the Kickback 12 is about $380. If your in the area of Maryland I'll sell you mine for $300. I recently upgraded to a Carvin RC210 and the Hartke doesn't get much use any more.

6. yawnsie

yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    London
    Thanks for the offer jhbass, but I'm all the way in England, which is a bit of a bugger.

7. jhbass

jhbass

Jan 21, 2001
    Yeah, I guess that would cost a fortune in postage stamps to ship it across the pond. Check web specials and the like you might find a deal that way.

8. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I had one of these and they do soud a little "tinny" unless you engage the "shape" control - push the button in! Then it sounded as mellow and bassy as I wanted. It isn't quite loud enough for most gigs I found, which was the only reason I got rid of it. I liked the sound and a few rehearsal studios round here bought them as well. The two best tips for improving the sound and making them bassier are : remove the rubber knobs on the bottom and replace the speaker cable with decent cable!

If you are importing from the US to the UK, it might cost more than $300!! I got quoted more than $300 shipping for a bass and that wasn't including custom duty and VAT which would have added even more - virtually doubling the price!

9. yawnsie

yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    London
    I've just got an estimate back from them, and they want $100 shipping, and $20 wire cost, bringing the total up to $499 - looks like I'm not going to be able to afford it. Oh well, the search continues...

10. Bruce Lindfield

And you have to add VAT and Customs Duty. I paid £12 customs duty on a CD that got opened, so I don't know what it would be on an amp!! Somebody else mentioned on this board about getting charged a lot on some small parts for a Rickenbacker, imported from the US to the UK. They would definitely stop something as big as an amp.

I know it's tempting when you see how much cheaper gear is in the US than the UK, but in reality it's actually going to be cheaper or the same to get it from a shop here. If there was any way of getting round the shipping, customs VAT etc, then I'm sure that there would be shops doing it - probably in Tottenham Court Road! ;)

11. yawnsie

yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    London
    Yeah... looks like I'm going to have to try and find out how much one is over here. Anyone know of any good UK based dealers on the web?

12. Bruce Lindfield

The Bass Centre is on the Web, but their site seems to be a bit erratic and doesn't have anything like the amount of gear listed, that is actually in the shops. I have bought amps and cabs by mailorder from Overwater in Carlisle - mostly because they offered interest-free credit!

Their main site is http://www.overwater.co.uk and there is also http://www.overwaterbasses.com

13. yawnsie

yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    London
    Thanks Bruce. Though I must say that Euphonic amp certainly hasn't helped my GAS very much...

14. Bruce Lindfield

They have some quite nice used amps on their list as well.....

15. Isn't Trace Elliot made in the UK? I know there are some brands made over there, maybe check those out (?). I guess that's a problem with you guys being over on that little island of yours.

16. Gizmot

Gizmot Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2009
    Nashville area
    I owned one of these Hartke amps - but I didn't keep it long.
    Aluminum is the wrong material to use for speaker cones because it softens every time it moves so the amp changes it sound whether you want it to or not. Also - the off-axis response is terrible.