anyone own a sadowsky w/ a pj?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by tomtom, Sep 16, 2003.

1. tomtom

Jun 17, 2002
    Philthy, PA
    the last time I was up at the shop they didn't have anything w/ a P pickup....

do they sound good passive?

With the P soloed, does it sound like a P?

t'anks in advance............
  2. kcdbass

Feb 27, 2002
    New Jersey
    Former Sales/Web, Sadowsky Guitars
    i own a sadowsky p/j with an alder body and a morado fingerboard.

the p/j combination is amazing on these basses ... boatloads of low end ... and in passive mode, the p pickup sounds like a nice, vintage precision to me.

it sounds so good, that the last recording session i took it to, the engineer had me try plugging straight into an avalon 737vt preamp which was set to "high gain."

passive mode on the bass, p pickup only, tone pot up full.

it sounded amazing ... and that's the sound we chose to record the whole track with. hearing it mixed, it sits in the track like a p and fills up a lot of space.

when you engage the onboard preamp, and dial in a bit of the jazz pickup, it rocks like a mofo ... and the passive tone conttol works in addition to the bass and treble boost.

sadowskys are great basses, and i view a p/j configuration like this one as the ultimate, versatile studio instrument.

i haven't tried a p/j with an ash/maple configuration, and sadowsky also offers a reverse p/j (where the E/A polepieces are nearer to the bridge) ...

good luck!
  3. Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    I have an Alder/RW PJ5 that's IMHO, pretty dang impressive in passive mode. It's even more impressive in active mode. It doesn't sound all that "active", just an extension of passive to so much more.

It doesn't just sound like a P bass, it sounds like a GREAT P bass.

And as has been already pointed out, it really shines through a mixing board.
  4. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY

I own a pj4 with ash body, morado board. WOW!! My favorite Sadowsky of all time(I have 4 and have had 4 others). It gives me most of the tones you like, including a big, fat P tone for big fat rock songs!! You can also dial in the bridge j pickup and have a blast with that. Sadowskys are awesome passive, too. With the pre swithed on, it's still keeps the character of passive but lets you dial in tons of tight, strong bottom and lots of highs if needed. You won't be disappointed if you step up to one!!

5. Classic5

Mar 31, 2002
    Hey bikeplate, looks like you may have another PJ in your arsenal - beautiful red sadowsky on ebay! I've still got a good year or so of saving before I could afford one of those. (Kids and a half decent car for the wife are first on the list).

Good luck.

A Sadowsky PJ4 is but a dream for now.
  6. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    love my PJ! here's a pic.

i found the P tone kinda edgey and brite, and i have to roll down the tone knob a bit. btw, i find most Sadowsky pickups very brite on the whole.

but i cant get enough of my P pickup's tone, especially when i pump the active bass knob!!! it just gets fatter, and waaaaay more punchie. killer tone.
  7. Classic5

Mar 31, 2002
    That's one great looking bass joker. PJ Sadowsky is definitely the one - I'd go for a 4 string though. I love my 5 but one is enough.

Sadowsky PJ4 in Olympic white - it's gonna take some heavy saving, but it'll happen :p