Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone own a Steinberger/Hohner headless?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Figjam, Aug 9, 2003.

1. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Well, has anyone played one, or own one? I just bought one ( retails for $850, its one of the nicer ones that ive played) and i wanna see what you guys think of em.

2. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Did you buy it from a store? It seems kinda pricey.

Actually, I checked the Hohner website http://www.hohnerusa.com/gbassheadless.htm

and one of the basses lists for that amount, so maybe you just ended up paying MSRP.

If it's the real deal, congratulations, Steinbergers are really cool. I had a fretless once. I miss it.

Now, if the Hohner is anything line the Steinberger Spirit line, you got yourself a very good instrument, just not a Steinberger.

3. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Wel, hohner is liscensed by Steinberger, and it has the same bridge, the official steinberger ones, and same pickups (emg selects) so i dont see how they are any different really. But no, the one that lists msrp for 400 is the b2b, which is crappy. THis one is not very popular at ALL, but is a lot better then the others. This one is very , very nice-a. Im sure it can easily ocmpare wit the spirit series.

4. The Hohners and Spirits I've played seemed pretty much identical, and the specs are the same, except the Hohner has an active preamp. The Spirits are Korean, and run about $300. I always thought the Hohners were made in the Far East, as well, though I could be wrong.

Mike

5. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    The cheaper Hohners are made in Korea and stuff, but this one is made in america. it is their most expensive headless bass that ive seen. My friend uses a $1300 Steinberger guitar, thats what got me lookin at the basses. The new Steinberger basses suck though, only the old ones are really good, so i decided to go with a good Hohner, because i dont want a used bass.

6. I'm curious--where did you find out that they were made in America? Hohner is a European company, and I didn't see anything on US website to indicate where the instruments were currently made.

The old Steinbergers (non-Spirit) were different instruments altogether, since they were made of solid composite resin, had active EMG pickups, the swivelling strap plate, etc.

Mike

7. Blackbird

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Hohner is licensed to copy the design. They have no obligation to copy the quality of the original. As a matter of fact, I don't think the licensee iss allowed to put out something in the same league of the licensed product. When a company licenses, they license down.

Read more info here:

http://www.gibson.com/products/steinberger/

FYI, Steinberger was bought by Gibson three or four years ago.

8. hanales

hanales

Jul 12, 2003
    Youngstown, OH
    Actually the new ones don't suck it all.

I've owned several steinies over the years, guitars and basses, and a few spirits.

For an economy axe, you really can't do much better. They blow away anything sub-500$.
    If you're looking for something low price, pick one up, they are a real treat.

--marc

9. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I know that Steinberger was bought by Gibson, my friend informed me a few months ago.

Anyways, before you start talkin about Hohner, play this model. NOT the b2b, that one is rather cheap. This one, as ive said, has neck-thru-body design, active EMG pickups, Steinberger de-tunable bridge, 24 frets, rosewood fingerboard

EDIT: This model is the b2adb.

10. Blackbird

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Would you pay $850 for an economy axe?

Waitaminnit. Figjam didn't say how much he paid for it. He just said the retail price. My bad.

Still if the Hohners are like the Spirits (and I'm getting the drift that they are), then it must be pretty good.

I've owned both, the spirit and the real thing. like the song says, "Ain't Nothing Like the Real Thing"

11. Yep, that's pretty much the original model they came out with back in the '80s when the first started making Steinberger copies, and it's the main one I've played. I've never seen the bolt-on B2b, since it's a fairly new model.

Mike

12. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Nono i didnt pay 850, i woulda bought a warwick corvette for 800 from my local shop if i had that dough. I payed $399. And i think it is a kickass deal. Butits weir,d this bass retails for higher then the spirits, wonder why.

13. That is a decent deal, and given that it has the active preamp and the Spirits don't, the price pretty much in line with what you'd pay to get the Spirit XT-2DB and add a preamp.

Don't know why Hohner's "list" is so much higher than the Spirits these days, except that the Spirits are only sold direct through MusicYo. Sounds like the end selling price is in the same ballpark, though.

Mike

14. I've got a Hohner B2A - I bought it 2nd hand for £120 in 1996.
    this is the same as the B2ADB, except it doesn't have a detuner bridge.
    I've modded mine quite a bit, adding a third pickup, and replacing the vol controls with switches.

the Hohner B2ADB sells for about £399 in the UK.

15. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Says you.

I have an original Newburgh XM2A, and currently have a Spirit XZ2. I formerly owned a pair of Spirit XT2s. Spirits are a tremendous value. They’re well made, play well, and use quality hardware. I consider them to be the equivalent to a MIM Fender in quality.

The B2ADB does look like a good value at the price you paid. The pickups are *not* active (they're the same passive EMG Selects used in the Spirits), but they added an active (single band?) tone circuit. As far as I know no Hohners are USA made - they say the wood is "California Maple" (probably exported to the factory), but they're made on the same Korean production line as the Spirits. Not a bad thing. If the dealer is telling you it's made in the USA, make him show proof.

I like the look of the new B2AV - now, if they'd just offer the quilted maple top with a single P pickup in a four, I'd be there!

Hohner headless basses

16. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    So what is the advantage of having an active tone circuit?>
    Also, does this bass come with strap pegs on it, like, can you where it with a strap? Or do you have to put them on urself somehow? Mine arrives next week and i forogt to look iff the one in the store had em.

17. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    In the most basic terms, active tone allows you to cut or boost; passive is cut only.

Look at the Hohner link - there's two strap buttons on the bottom (on either side of the bridge), and one centered behind the neck joint. There's a simple reason there's two on the bottom - it'd fall over with just one!

What color did you get? That grey metallic satin is pretty nice!

18. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Yup, i got the metallic satin, isnt it purrrty? I love it,and also bc im not a fan of black basses (except fender jazz's with a black pickuard)
    And thats what i thought, as far as the active thing. So, cool, i got a good quaity bass at a good price. I am a happy customer.

19. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Actually one mroe thing, u say there is a strap pinn located at the center of the neck joint on the back. i loooked at a pic of the bac, and i see a black dot but im not sure if its a pin. can u look and tel me if it is?

20. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Just wondering what this may be worth with all this talk about Steinberger copies?! It also has the EMG's (P/J setup) and an active circuit but no eq :confused: It has the neck-through design and of course the Steinberger hardware! I bought it from a 'non-bassist' 3 years ago for $100. I had to clean her up. Put on new strings, install a strap button just behind the neck and bought a new battery! I definitely need the neck worked on as the action is way high but it has a nice sound and is great for recording. Nice clean sound!