Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone OWN a Super-Short Scale?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by LajoieT, Sep 11, 2004.

1. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    OK I've read the other threads about the very short scale basses and there's a lot of talk about who makes them, what they cost and what their scale lengths are, but no real remarks from anyone who has actually OWNED one. I'm thinking of getting one for my 2 kids (ages 6 and 3) to play with and hopefully catch the music bug (and leave my Cirrus alone in the process...) I know about the Asbury and it's not aplicable here. I've been looking at the Fernandez Nomad, but the built in amp is kind of a turn off. The Samick looks and sounds good on paper and I think one of the local stores had one recently so they could probably get me one if I wanted. I also know there a lot of good things to say about the SX/Brice instruments and there is some mention of a short scale P bass SX, but Rondo's web site doesn't seem to mention it now. Is it discontinued? Anyone with any firsthand knowlege of these instruments I'd love to hear any pros/cons. Especially issues with the Nomad's electronics/speaker.

I'm really only interested in the below 30" scale lengths. I think the Nomad is around 25.5 and the Samick is 26" IIRC. so the Mustang and other 30" scale basses aren't something I'm entertaining, the kids are still pretty small.

2. Anti_Wish

Anti_Wish

May 14, 2004
    Boston, Ma
    i played a fender musicmaster which was really cool. i think it is 30"? not sure. great bass though, top notch.

3. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    The Samick is quite decent. Played one a while back in a store out of curiosity as I like short scale basses and own a Samick 30" as my travel and take to work bass. Try ebay for a second hand one.

4. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    Fender makes a P Bass Jr. at 28.5". I've played one and they actually play well and sound good.

5. Don't own one, but I've considered a super-short scale for traveling. Here is one on eBay, and here are some more variations. I've never heard a word about the maker (J Reynolds), but some of them are shorter than 30", and the price is low.

The second link has a mistake of some sort, I think. The JR7 is said to have a 24 3/4" scale, and the JR7M is said to be 7/8 the size of the JR7, but with a 25 1/2" scale. That doesn't match what I learned about fractions, but then I was never good with numbers. The JR9 is a regular short scale, 29 3/4", and is described as a 7/8 size bass. One of those might be worth considering for a 3-year-old and a 6-year-old.

Probably the reason I didn't order one, other than being confused by the fractions and scale lengths, is that I wouldn't know what strings to put on it. I don't see a lot of bass strings in the 24-25" range. I've always heard that it isn't good to snip a string in the wound part, but then I've never tried it. I'd be interested to know what you decide, and how it works out.

6. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    I have 6 <34" scale basses and most require me to use std long scale strings and cut them to length winding them onto the posts well into the non-tapered section of string. Not had any problems, but it can be fiddly the first couple of times you do it. I also use std single ballends on my Status headless and secure them with the grubscrews, cutting off the excess with no probs either.

7. I'm gasin for this baby link

:bag:

8. gyancey

gyancey

Mar 25, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I have a 60's Mosrite short scale hollowbody. The scale is about 25" - maybe even a little shorter. It goes out of tune constantly and is only useful if I want a neat rubber-band tone. If I was a kid it certainly wouldn't encourage me to continue playing...

9. I have the Samick, what a great little bass. It was tuned G-C-F-Bb at the shop, I took it home and played it in standard tuning (E-A-D-G obviously) for a while, and now have it tuned tenor (A-D-G-C).

I wouldn't mind using it as a backup at a gig as it is so easy to play (although the pickup isn't great. I'm not a huge fan of P pickups generally, and this one is not the greatest P pickup as it is). I have used it for songwriting as it just makes me play so differently - I then have to go away and figure it out on my 34"-scale 6. :)

10. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    IMO, ruined a perfectly good little bass... My stolen Musicmaster, (R.I.P. :( ), is rolling in it's grave somewhere!

-robert

11. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    StewMac used to sell these great little mini-kits way back... Good quality components, ash body, maple neck... The scale was such that the bass was tuned similar to a standard bass fretted at the 5th fret, making it about a 25.5" scale, (It's been awhile...) Just finish and assemble.

-robert

12. Niels Keijzer

Niels Keijzer Guest

Nov 27, 2000
    I believe you could probably bypass that amp when playing into another. For me, that amp would be a 'turn on', but I never heard how it sounds.

You could also try the Aria Sinsinado (some funny name that looks like what I just typed), try searching their website. They're short scale, Silent-Guitar like instruments.