Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone own a yamaha RBX300?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jake_tim, Oct 26, 2005.

1. jake_tim

jake_tim

Jun 28, 2005
    North Carolina
    hello fellow bassist, i own a yamaha rbx300, i bought it about a year ago from a guy for 50 bucks, and all the yamaha rbx 300s' ive seen only have passive electronics and one p-style pickup, whiel mine has a p/j setup. Im kinda confused on this because i dont belive it is custom work, if you know anything abot this could you please tell me, ive aleady looked at the yamaha web site, and everywhere else and cannot find anything. ohh and i know it is in horrible condition, it was my first bass, and i think they stopped making these in the late 80s or early 90s' i dont know. Heres the pic, 5 knobs, 2 volume, treble, mid, bass. sorry for the horrible pic quality

thanx in advance.

-Jake

Attached Files:

2. Hard to tell from the picture, but maybe the previous owner added the J pickup and its pots. As for active vs. passive, does your bass have a 9-volt battery in it? If it does, odds are it's active (it's not quite that clear-cut, some basses have passive pickups with active preamps). Probably not a bad bass for 50 bucks, but it might be worth it to take it to a guitar tech to have it set up.

3. Yamahas usually have a tiny little sticker on the back of the headstock saying what model it is. If its still there it will nail down the model.

Otherwise...enjoy your P/J...I love my cheapo RBX170 P/J to bits...

4. jake_tim

jake_tim

Jun 28, 2005
    North Carolina
    well the pickups are EMG's, which i understand are active, and it has a 9volt in the back of it too, as for the model sticker ont he back of the headstock, umm there isnt one unfourtuitly, ive been tying to figure this out for a while and i hope somone can help.

thanx.

-jake

5. So, are you quite sure it's an RBX300? Forgive me if that's what it says on the front of the headstock, but I can't quite make it out.

6. jake_tim

jake_tim

Jun 28, 2005
    North Carolina
    it says rbx300 on the headstock, see i was wondering that also, maybe the owner put a different neck on it perhaps, or just got a lot of custom work done to it (active electronics, emg pups, P/J setup).

-Jake

7. Custom work or new neck? Doesn't really matter, Yamahas are good basses for the $ and considering you shelled out only $50 for it, then you got a good deal. I'd take it to a reputible bass tech and have it set up properly though. You will appreciate it much more when it's set up well. Is the bridge stock? Picture's a bit blurry for me to see in detail.

Pete

8. jake_tim

jake_tim

Jun 28, 2005
    North Carolina
    yeh it is, but is surpisingley good, it looks liek a Badass 2 bridge but not as thick, (same shape, saddles, ect)

-jake

9. +1
    Yeah, a Yamaha for $50 is a great deal, especially since you probably won't put more than that into a good set up, which means you'll own a decent bass for less than $100. Not bad.

10. dusan

dusan

May 9, 2007
    I have one!:) It's old,i dont know how much,but it works great. Trere are no models with active electronic unles you install it.I payed it about 150euros two years ago,recorded four demos with local bands,nothing special but it works. My influences on 4string are Billy Sh,Wooten,and it's easy to do all kinds of technique on this instrument,but I must sell it cos i need to buy better,you can't go to big gigs and studio with this one,active can help but not enough.