1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Anyone Own An Egmond?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by LowBassDub, Mar 20, 2006.

1. LowBassDub

LowBassDub

Jun 4, 2004
    Anyone here own an Egmond bass? I picked one up from eBay, but it's a weirdie, it looks like it should be a 34" scale, but it's actually only a 30" scale, the saddle should reside about 4" from the bridge, under this little metal arch that goes over the strings, the inside of the arch is padded to mute the strings, but the saddle is missing.

Anyone help me out with some pictures of what the saddle looks like, or even better a clue as to where I can find one?:confused:

Pictures of the bass in general

LBD

2. Never heard of them myself

Neat little thing though

3. I think Ed Freidland has one on his site.

4. Dbassmon

Dbassmon

Oct 2, 2004
    Rutherford, NJ
    I actually was in a band in the late sixties with a guy that played an Egmond Bass. The first and last time i ever heard that name mentioned since then.
    Here's a guy selling one on ebay
    http://instruments.search.ebay.com/...dio_W0QQfsooZ1QQfsopZ1QQfstypeZ1QQsacatZ15197

Apparently a Dutch manufacturer. Can't find much else. You may want to contact Gruhen Guitars in Nashville. They know quite a bit about vintage instruments.

5. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Actually if you Google "Egmond guitars" you get a fair bit of info. They were pretty kool cheap instruments... some of them had great Italian-looking sparkly/swirly/pearly vinyl coverings or pickguards, and they have a neato "beatnik rock" vibe (I know, there's no such thing, but that's what I would use an Egmond for). They show up on Ebay now and then, so you might want to buy a couple more and assemble the best parts from each.

6. LowBassDub

LowBassDub

Jun 4, 2004
    Yeah, when you google them you get a lot of Max van Egmond the opera singer and a few hits on Ed Friedland as well, there's an 'Egmond Expert' as well, who is wanting to write a book on them, but his page is really sparse.

They were made in Holland, reputedly of wood sometimes so new, that if you planted them in the ground and watered them, they'd start to grow again.

The one I have obviously had some issues, because there's a couple of splits in the body, which I can repair, but I wanted to know what an original bridge looked like. Another user has told me that his has a floating adjustable wooden bridge, but he doesn't have any pictures of it. I'm wondering if that was original equipment or added. I too have just shoved a piece of wood in there to act as the saddle bridge for now. It's not adjustable, it's not even shaped, it just happened to fit.

The pickups on this sound pretty awesome, though they need a bit of work, according to Angela Instruments, they are probably DeArmonds.

So if anyone can find a pic with a closeup of the bridge?

7. Those guitars/basses where a laugh most of the times.. Most of them really sucked. I know a guy who collects them just for fun. They have some nice (cosmetic) designs though.

8. Loves4003

Loves4003

Nov 27, 2005
    The Netherlands
    They were crap most of the time, but the best fun-kind of crap you could buy. There were some good ones, though, but those are rare. Some looked cool, like their semis or vinyl-covered basses and guitars. The PU's were so bad you could just talk in to them and hear your voice through your amp. Made in Holland (like me), but shipped worldwide. They were also sold under names like Rosetti an d Lion (and probably more). In Holland they go for around 150 euros for a decent one, although people are starting to try to sell them for much more now.

Randymaull likes this.
  9. ^^The last thing is pretty funny (but irritating). Everything on the local kind of ebay is listed as: VINTAGE!

How is yours, threadstarter?

10. LowBassDub

LowBassDub

Jun 4, 2004
    I'm pretty happy with it. It was a twofold thing for me, one was reading Ed Friedland's comments on it in bassplayer, the other was Ryan Moore's comment on his found in a Dutch junkshop bass, though I don't think it was an Egmond.

EF was right about the sound though, it's fat. I cleaned up the controls today, and adjusted the pickups, set the pole pieces, and oh my god, what a nice rich tone, seems fairly heavy on the fundamental, I actually had to turn the gain on my amp down from where it normally is with my active bass.

The pickups are heavy on the microphonics, and it's not surprising considering the way they are designed, I don't think even wax potting them is going to help much. The bobbin is on a metal bracket, which floats withing the pickup case, and is held against the top of the metal case with springs, the screws go through the pickup case, and it's basically the pressure of the casing, keeping the bobbin in place, so any casing movement is going to be picked up as the bobbin can float . There's a metal keeper on the top of the magnet that the bobbin is wound around, and the polepieces screw into another keeper that is just held in place by the magnetic forces.

I need to get a better bridge as just now it's a piece of wood that happened to be the right size to fit under the bridge hoop that I found in my garage, squeegeebrown says that his bridge is a wooden floating one. I'm wondering whether to shape one, get a Hofner style one and trim to fit, or get one of those Tune-o-matic bass bridges that guitarpartsdepot.com have for $20.

Considering it just has a random piece of wood shoved in place as a bridge, it plays quite well, the A string could do with being a little higher as it's buzzy around the upper frets, I'll wait 'til I get a better bridge before I mess with the truss rod.

Anyway even though I was surprised it was only a 30" scale, and the bridge was missing, I am in love with it, I wasted much of the afternoon when I should have been doing what I'm paid to do, noodling around on it.

So look at Friedland's [​IMG] has anyone seen anybody supplying a bridge similar to that? Or should I just go with the Tune-O-Matic [​IMG] Can I adjust individual string heights on the Tune-O-Matic?

11. Randymaull

Randymaull

Jan 7, 2019
    My first bass was a short scale Egmond, got it back in '70, wish I would've kept that one, even though the pickups were HORRIBLE (Hi Z and easily prone to feedback) I actually used to chord the damn thing like a guitar, and utilized the feedback to obtain that "Henrix" sound, running it through my homemade "fuzzbox" getting some wild harmonics (sub as well as high end) Wish I could find that cassette where I had played a gig with it, was really something...actually played lead guitar on the thing also. Or even a photo, back in those days we never took a photo of much, it was way too costly lol!