1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Anyone own an OLED TV?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by OldDog52, Nov 19, 2017.

Tags:
  1. OldDog52

OldDog52 Gold Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2011
    I’m seeing online reports that LG OLED TVs will be heavily discounted for Black Friday. They have gorgeous picture quality but the risk of image retention kind of turns me off. A local store had a 55” class LG OLED advertised for $1399 today, way lower than Best Buy.*

Anyone have one? Comments?

*BB would probably price match though.

2. I've had mine for years, a 3D Smart TV from LG, back when OLED was a new thing.
    The refresh rate isn't so great when I'm streaming to it from my computer, but that might be more to do with my computer and/or the internet connection.

With the PS4 & broadcast TV, there are no artifacts.

add: oops, scratch all that, mine is just a LED TV, not OLED.

Hey, at least I got off my butt to find the flashlight & read the model number off the back of my TV. It took longer to find the flashlight, a tiny $3 LED one I brought from Thailand.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2017
    Stumbo and OldDog52 like this.
  3. I have an OLED TV. :thumbsup:

tv_box.

4. RoadRanger

RoadRanger Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    Historically OLED's do "age", "burn-in", and have balance issues from device to device. I'd wait a couple years until they prove themselves?

5. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    I watched one of the Transformers movies, Age of Extinction, at a buddies house who has one. The picture was so real, it was amazing. Like 3D, but better.
    We watched parts of a football game then a couple other shows. I was blown away with the picture quality, and I'm not usually into that stuff.
    I have a TV, so I don't need one. If I was in the market for a new TV, I'd buy an OLED from Costco.

-Mike

Stumbo likes this.
  6. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I have an LG C7 55” OLED that I got a crazy deal on, this year’s model. It’s wonderful- the refresh rates on them are excellent now and there’s no comparison with the blacks. I had wanted a new TV for quite a while and was lamenting that plasmas had gone the way of the dodo- I was happy to find the new OLEDs are basically the new plasma. They had the potential for burn in but so did plasma- most have screen savers and pixel movement that kick on immediately so it’s not really an issue, at least if you’re used to using a plasma.

Stumbo and OldDog52 like this.
  7. OldDog52

Jan 1, 2011
    Update

My 2017 holiday gift to myself is an LG 55” B7 OLED. I rarely use the word “stunning”. This TV is STUNNING. It blows my previous Panasonic THX-certified plasma out of the water in every conceivable way. It makes my newish but cheap LG 4K LED/LCD bedroom set look like a POS in comparison.

I’ve had it for 9 days now and it’s taken a little time to dial in the picture settings. But I think I’ve got it. I was concerned that “old” 2K content (or lower) would look bad. Quite the opposite: the OLED makes almost everything look better than I would have believed possible.

I upgraded my Netflix plan for 4K streaming. Example of Stranger Things in 4K (Roku):

43EBEB7F-A706-4282-9843-3EBC5DD22CE2.

This is Comcast cable before I really did the picture setup carefully (I think this is upscaled 720P):

F8956709-7497-4CD4-A15E-F2399F028E85.

S-Bigbottom, MJ5150 and Stumbo like this.
  8. Wow, that 4K picture looks more like you're looking out a window instead of at a TV screen.

9. OldDog52

Jan 1, 2011
    Should have mentioned: Those are unretouched iPhone photos, just cropped slightly.

10. BadJazz

BadJazz Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2007
    Eugene, Oregon
    I bought a 43 inch atyme 4k tv for 185 bucks off newegg. Fine as a tv but great as a monitor. I'm still not used to the real estate but damn!

11. Sorry about my post in post #3, I misread OLED as OLD. Did not know it was a new style and thought you wanted to talk about people that still had OLD Tube t.v.s. :sorry:

Enjoy you new "People in the walls". The future is here. :thumbsup:

12. Coincidentally I got a new bill for the extended warranty on my LG 3D Smart TV last week.
    It's $150 for 2 years of service. I paid it last time & I've had the TV since 2011.

I'm surprised it's lasted this long, it's the longest I've owned a television, since I moved around a bunch in the past.
    Time to do some research on these 4K TVs. I think I've read that most of them will upscale 1080p images, but I think the broadcasts I'm receiving are mostly 720p.

Oops, then I'd have to upgrade my PlayStation & those new ones don't have a digital optical output, a real buzzkill for me.
    Half the fun of watching movies on the PlayStation is the sound quality from the fiber optic port.
    Ah, it never stops, then I'd have to get a new soundbar :sour:

I'm guessing an old dog wouldn't have a game console connected to his OLED 4K TV,,,?

Last edited: Dec 25, 2017
  13. OldDog52

Jan 1, 2011
    The Super Bowl picture quality is, well, astonishing. I’m not exaggerating.

64FBD77F-CDDC-4EB6-9B5E-3AAC21543A98.

MJ5150 likes this.
  14. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Yeah, I figured that was going to look amazing on your TV.

-Mike