Anyone own any Wish Basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Liquid Harvest, Dec 22, 2005.

1. Liquid Harvest

Liquid Harvest

Dec 21, 2005
    I have been looking at getting a wish bass I was wondering if anyone had any? They are at

Let me know how they feel over persay how they sound. I know they dont come standard with Bart's but I can always put those in.

2. Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    Let the barrage commence...
  3. hehe
    you should search for this...tb'ers have some great opinions about them!

anyways, i had one for a week, and i liked it, the workmanship isn't great, and the necks are thick, but they sound fine to me...
  4. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    My fretless was out of tune...
  5. paul n

paul n

May 6, 2005
    Arden, NC
    Do a search for "Wish Bass" on this board, you will find plenty of info on these.

Something to keep in mind, you get what you pay for. in the case of Wish bass that's huge necks, often with no trussrod and not so great craftsmanship.

Read the other posts on these, but myt advice would be to save your money and get something better.

~Paul :)
  6. As the others said, do a search and you'll find a pletora of opinions on wish basses. There are also a couple (I think) of 'Lets buy a wish' threads which basically document the purchase of a wish bass and a subsequent travel through different Talkbass members, each giving their reviews.

To sum up the main views:

1. Some think that wish basses are a joke. This stems from the very sub par construction, severe lack of finishing, very odd ball designs (although this is not a bad thing in itself), lack of a truss rod, crude controls and control panel, and a variety of other issues. Many here find fault with the fact that these basses, - some of which are custom built to specs and in any case made by a 'luither' (using the term very loosely and without any disrespect to people lke Nordstrand, Bordwell, JP, and many others) - have features which are sub-par to even entry level basses, such as SX basses, a mass produced instrument, the latter having actual potential.

2. Some wish bass owners on the other hand claim that the tone is nice, not fantastic, but nice and that the issues with their construction can be fairly easily remedied or ignored and that they are a fair price for what you get.

I myself think they're a joke. :bag:
  7. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    You may as well pay your buddy $300 to take a dump in a box.
  8. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    Actually, some Wish owners claim that the construction and overall quality is crap, but the tone is as if God himself farted from the heavens. I've heard people say that Wishes are crappily built but sound amazing.

I'm not making that claim as I've never played one, but some say it's true.
  9. Liquid Harvest

Liquid Harvest

Dec 21, 2005
    yea i apologize about not searching first I was at work and half thinking ...... I found figure the tone was crap because he puts cheap pickups in it... but I was wondering about the craftmenship I was looking at the $600 upright they had on there and possibly another one as a backup bass to my Pedulla..... lol oh well guess I have to strop to my MVP ...oh

I wasnt to concerned with the tone, as I would mod the crap out of it but I was wanting to know about the craftmenship as that can not be modded as easily.... I noticed he used Cherry so I imagine its heavy as can be and warm as you will get out...I may be mistaken though...

In case you dont know I really just recenty got into modding out basses for interesting sounds I can use during our stage show... I figured this being a cheap bass but looking cool may be good but I cant have crappy although I am the guy who took a $100 Washburn XB100 and put $2000 dolalrs worth of mods on it so who know...
  10. for modding...wishbasses are a challenge as they are neckthrough and unconventionally constructed (bridge design, space for pickups, etc...not that it isn't doable...I modded mine a bit...

yes, the build quality...i can only describe it as rough, unfinished, rustic...

the sound...well, I cannot attest to anyone else's but yes it is among one of the sweetest sounds I've heard from any bass I've ever played.

If you're planning on spending more than $300 for a wishbass...DON'T...if you're looking for a unique $200 fretless, give it a go...