Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone own or played a Kinal DK5 fretless?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rontalsaurus, Feb 28, 2006.

1. rontalsaurus

rontalsaurus

Aug 19, 2002
    Curious what people think about it. Looks wise, I think it's one of the best looking instrument around, and I'm intrigued by the chambered body and spruce top.
    I own a Kinal MK5, so I know the playability is great.

I would like to know how it sounds, though.

2. I'm bumping this thread because I would like to know too. How much 'acoustic content' does the amplified sound have?

Tumbao, saw your picture of the DK5 in the other thread. Is that one yours? Any input greatly appreciated.

3. DaveAceofBass

DaveAceofBass Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    I have the answers you seek. I have a DK5

4. Wow, it's been a while since I looked into those. Feel like putting up some soundclips?

5. Tumbao

Tumbao

Nov 10, 2001
    FL
    Wow! Sorry, Delay's PM sent.

6. jibreel

jibreel

Apr 12, 2005
    Seattle
    Yeah, it would be great to hear sound clips of this bass.

My fundemental gas is over as I have found my sound in my Turner basses but that Kinal semi sure looks interesting !@!!!!!

7. rontalsaurus

rontalsaurus

Aug 19, 2002
    Would love to know about it...description? sound clips?

8. DaveAceofBass

DaveAceofBass Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    Mine is fretted. I had mine made custom....it has a 34" scale, custom USA Kent Armstrong pickups, a custom John East preamp, Graph Tech piezos, set neck (instead of the standard bolt-on), Hipshot hardware, and a custom finish and neck profile. Spruce top, alder body, quilted maple back, wenge/purpleheart/flame maple neck, and ebony fingerboard with a walnut playing ramp. It turned out heavier than I had expected, but I think that is mostly due to the set neck. It's perfectly balanced though. It's big, but it feels great. Sounds really clear and fat. I've had some trouble with the blending of the mag pickups, but I'm hoping to have that issue resolved soon. It was due to the style of the pickups--a mismatch.

At any rate, you might check out Kinal's site. He apparently has designed a hollow version of the SK5--you can see that on the pics of recent shows he's been at. When I sell my MK5-B I'll probably order a SK5B with a chambered body, similar to the one shown on his site.

Kinal basses are amazing. They are well built, they sound great, and play great. Mike is a super nice guy and he is not overpriced. The only downsides I know of is that his fretwork is not amazing (I had to have mine fret dressed after I got it, but it has not had an issue since--the neck is very stable and truss rod functions perfectly) and his basses can be somewhat heavy. That being said, I've talked to Mike about making me a really lightweight bass if I order another one, and it's a task I'm sure he is capable of. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Kinal.