Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone own or try a GK-2001RB?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by arbitrary, Feb 5, 2006.

1. arbitrary

arbitrary Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2005
    Boston, MA
    I was just wondering and looking for some insight/reviews about this (Gk-2001rb) amp in relations to sound quality, reliability, etc...
    and yes I've searched and read the gk head above:help:
    thanks

2. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    I haven't tried the 2001 but I owned a 2000 RB for several years and it was a great amp. Enormous power and the usual great GK sound. I had absolutely no problems with it. It seemed like I never got the amp running even warm no matter how hard I pushed it.It replaced a GK 400 that was just a little shy on headroom when playing outdoor gigs.

The 2001 is an improved version of the 2000, I heard.

I only sold the 2000 when I downsized to a Mesa Walkabout Scout combo which suits me fine now. I don't think you can go wrong with the 2001.

3. arbitrary

Oct 24, 2005
    Boston, MA
    I'd figure I'd give this a bump for good measure.
    Thanks
    No one with firsthand knowledge of a 2001rb?

4. pablomigraine

pablomigraine Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 9, 2005
    New York
    VP & Managing Director - Willcox Basses
    tried a 2001 rbp with a power amp. B side is exact replica of the 1001rb II amp. Great sound. I love the GK tone. Everything set flat with a Sansamp BDDI in front of it = Slammin modern rock / metal rig.

A side "high-gain" channel. Some cool distro sounds at the higher level, but no real "overdrive" sounds. Kinda like an expanded version of the "Boost" on the 1001rbII. Great sound for metal.

5. arbitrary

Oct 24, 2005
    Boston, MA
    Right now I'm using an svt4 pro w/the bddi for the constant dirt.
    So I was curious how the 2001rb would work with a BDDI.
    Since I'll be getting one of those bergantino nv610 in a week, I was wondering for a new head to match.
    So I gather leaving the built in gk distortion on for a dirty tone might not work?

6. 2001RB users
    Flea
    Duff McKagan - Velvet Revolver
    James MacDonough - Megadeth
    Adam Russell - Story Of The Year
    Tim Foreman - Switchfoot
    Kenny Wright - John Legend
    JJ Smith - Mary J Blige
    Mike Warne - Relient K
    Bobby Lee Burns - Soulfly
    Johnny Christ - Avenged Sevenfold
    Mike Couls - Agents Of Man
    Jimmy Shepherd - Nevermore
    Jeff Abercrombie - Fuel
    Justin Chancelor - Tool
    Mike Davenport - The Ataris
    Mark White - Spin Doctors
    And the list goes on...

7. arbitrary

Oct 24, 2005
    Boston, MA
    well that clears everything up..
    whew...now I just have to buy it based on that...:eyebrow:

8. The BDDI is not really necessary because it's more or less a copy of the boost control in the GK amp so you can so you can make the B channel as clean or as dirty as you want. The A channel handles full on distortion and the footswitch is included.

There will be a review of the 2001RB and the Neo 412 cabinet in the next issue of Bass Guitar Magazine.

9. playmybass

playmybass

Mar 28, 2004
    Tucson, Az
    Maybe he was trying to give you a clue as to how they sound.

10. arbitrary

Oct 24, 2005
    Boston, MA
    Thanks,
    I'm very excited to read the review.
    There might be a possiblity of switching it with my svt4 pro, but the guitar center here doesn't stock the 2001rb, hence limiting my chance to play it.
    How does the boost control work?
    Can you still EQ with the full on distortion?

"Maybe he was trying to give you a clue as to how they sound."

You never know when someone is actually using that head or not based on recordings...

11. The distortion channel has a two band eq of it's own but it also sends the signal through the four band eq as well as the voicing filters (contour etc.)

The boost control saturates a FET circuit and gives you a nice growl as you increase it. It tends to fatten up the tone as well.

12. arbitrary

Oct 24, 2005
    Boston, MA
    sounds sexy.
    All solid state right?

13. yes solid state. It can be bright and agressive or warm and round depending on how you dial it in.