Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone own/owned Mahogany Carvin Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by funkysurfer, Sep 26, 2005.

1. I have an LB75 which is Mahagony all the way through with an ebony fretboard. I am curious to know how your bass sounds and if any modifications were made? :(

Thanks,
    Shawn

2. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    Very lower-midrangey on my B4.

3. vary warm..I exchanged the pickups and am going to swap the preamp as well.
    -eric

4. Blues Cat

Blues Cat Supporting Member

May 28, 2005
    Katy, Tx
    Warm & low. Why the sad face?

5. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    mahog with maple/walnut neck and ebony board. Warm with a bit of zing... I'm bad with descrbing tones.... "Good" comes to mind.

6. What kind of pup's and configuration?

Also, could you give me a before and after modification sound comparison?

Thanks,
    Shawn

7. Woops! He looked like a curious face. Didn't know he was sad.

With that said, I'm not totally satisfied with the sound of it. My bass is very mid-rangy. I love everything about it other than that, so I was hoping to modify the pup's & preamp.

Here's what I would like to get out of it:
    warm lows (bass is muddy)
    nice growl (has none) and crystally highs.

Is this is possible with a 100% mahogany bass and a electronics modification?

I would like to replace the jazz pup @ the bridge with a MusicMan style pup. Anyone done this and which one did you use? How did it sound after the mod?

Thanks!

8. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    I had an all-mahogany LB76F. Didn't love the tone and had problems with the neck. My impression is that mahogany may be too soft for a reliable 6 string neck. I've heard, however, of people who are fine with their mahogany LB70s, or even LB75s. I ended up getting an LB76F with a maple neck and koa sides and was much happier. Maple neck with mahogany sides probably would have suited me fine too.

9. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin' Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Deep E Texas
  10. two j99's before. They hummed a lot, kinda muddy/not too clear, kinda bland to me.
    I put some bart 9k1's in there and like them a lot more. More clear, and alive sounding, good highs and bottoms and ~~~ in between.
    It was a choice between those and antiquity 2's.
    -eric

11. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I had an LB75F in all mahogany, ordered it new. Sounded just okay so I swapped out the electronics for all Bartolini. Sounded a little better than okay. Mind you it didn't sound bad, just not something that inspired me to play it. Kind of middle of the road, generic sounding.

12. Blues Cat

Blues Cat Supporting Member

May 28, 2005
    Katy, Tx

Sounds like you might want an all walnut LB75 based on your sound description. :bag:

Do you have any pics?

13. Not here (I'm at work). However, here's a link to some music I did where it was recorded through a SansAmp, I believe direct? I was very disappointed with the tone.

http://www.zebox.com/fusionbass/

Note that I bought the bass back in 93, so the pup's and pre are no longer used in their basses. I have read that the tone differs (for the worse) compared to the newer pup's & pre. Rather than part with this bass now, I would like to get the tone I am looking for out of it with an electronics upgrade, buy a new amp (my current has NO headroom - 160watts @ 8ohms) & possibly a new cab later on.