1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Anyone Own/Play a Vintage Fender Bass V?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by markjazzbassist, Apr 24, 2010.

1. I've been checking out this

http://www.vintageguitars.org.uk/bassV.php

and am intrigued by this bass. I know Jamerson and JPJ each had one. I think it might be cool to try one out or own one and have the vintage 5 string thing going (Precision pickup too which is cool).

Anyone own/play one? THought? Pro/Cons?

2. SpamBot

SpamBot

Dec 25, 2008
    St. Paul, MN
    Subbie.

3. Double E

Double E I ain't got no time to play... Supporting Member

Dec 24, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    I always thought it was strange that they added a string and then removed 5 frets, essentially giving the bass the same tonal range of a 4 string.

4. Nick901

Nick901

Feb 18, 2011
    Toronto, Canada
    GTA dealer for Acoustic USA
    I have a 1967. I'll post a pic in the next coupld of days.

5. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    Theres a few dudes on here who have em. I think they're sweet.

If I was a skilled builder (like John10K or someone) I'd probably build one myself since these are relatively hard to come by.

6. i played one at chicago music exchange. it was amazing. great low profile neck, the b was nice. the p bass pickups weren't my thing (i'm a jazz guy) but the tone was there. great bass if i could find one for cheaper. the body shape was a little different since the neck is smaller and the body is longer. but it wasn't very uncomfortable, it was still a nice player

7. Cadburypurple

Cadburypurple

Apr 21, 2011
    I am in UK and I own a Fender Bass V, mint condition, never been played. Stil in original Fender Hard Case How do I date it and value it?

8. walbassist

walbassist

Jan 29, 2003
    United Kingdom
    I'm in the UK too and have wanted one of these for years. If you want to sell let me know.......

9. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Someone strung it with a B string?
    That was not the intent of the V. Low string is supposed to be an E string.
    It was designed for your fretting hand positions to travel cross-ways across the fretboard to reach higher notes, rather than sliding up the neck.