Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Anyone own/played an EDB605?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Pearl_jammin, Apr 13, 2004.

1. Hi, I've been playing 4 String for 3 years now, and I'm looking to take the step up to 5 String.
    I'm looking at the Ibanez EDB605 (Nice step up from my Rockbass Streamer).
    Anyone own one of these or played it? I'm just wondering what sort of tone it makes, and how good it is for slapping/tapping etc.
    Thanks for any help

2. Hofbrauhaus

Hofbrauhaus

Feb 10, 2002
    Upton, MA
    I owned an EDB605 before upgrading to a Stingray5 (and I also have a Warwick Streamer LX5 on the way!). My EDB605 was my first bass and it served me very well. It is not the most durable instrument though. The grey finish rubbed off in an area where part of my hand rested after only 1-2 years of playing. The luthite body was comfortable though, but always had a funny smell to it, but it's something that fades slightly with time. Overall the bass sounded good and I never had any problems with it. However, it needs a fresh set of strings to prevent it from sounding a little muddy. I found DR highbeams to work best on it for both finger style and slap/pop stuff. It's also very easy to play and I was able to achieve a pretty low action on it. However, I find even though I have small hands I'm much more comfortable with big thick necks (the thin neck on the Ibanez gave my hand cramps). However, if you like thin necks and want a good sounding reliable bass for a decent price I'd look into it. Try to play one first though. A bass that is only a few bucks more which is much better in my opinion is the BTB405 though, so you may want to look into that too. Goodluck...I'd sell you my EDB605 if I still had it but I let it go for 250 bucks with a gig bag and 3 sets of strings back in October!

3. Only

Only

Sep 8, 2002
    Warrensburg, MO
    Decent bass, but unless you're getting a deal on a used one, there's better basses out there for the price, IMO. The EDB sounds only mediocre played by itself, but I guess because of the luthite body, effects went farther and better with it. The B string on mine was never particularly...acceptable either.

4. The singer in my band has that same model from when he played bass quite a bit, and i played it often as well. Im not sure how to really describe the tone but i will say its very different from the "traditional' tone youd expect from a P or Jazz bass; the only thing that comes to mind is more "hi-fi" sounding, and not so warm. But it does do ok for slapping if you work the tone controls right, and it does have a decent 3-band EQ. However, be aware that all Ibanez 5-strings in the SoundGear and Ergodyne series have very narrow, fast necks (which i personally love), and finger spacing gets really tight when you slap. Like really, REALLY tight. They play really nice finger style if theyre setup right, though. The sound is really up to you, just find one to play around with if you can, and see if you like it or not. And i do have to agree the bodies are nice and confortable, if nothing else.

Peace.

5. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    Well, I love my EDB605. I find that it can get a very bright and modern tone, but with the 3 band active EQ I can dial in just about any sound I want. It'll do deep dub, or rock, or funk or whatever you want. Mine was used, but it certainly does not have the "funny smell" that they are always accused of having. You guys with Ergo's that smell like gas(petrol) need to spend some time in a tiny apartment playing bass and smoking thousands of cigs… that'll kill that smell. Anyway, the only "real" problem I've ever heard of with and EDB happened to the old bass player in my friend's band. He somehow dropped it, I think the strap came off of the rear strap button while playing. The bass hit the concrete floor making contact right around the EQ knobs / control cavity area - The body shattered into many pieces. Now, IMO - that makes a case for wood!

6. Ok, mixed opinions here! Anyone suggest any alternative 5 strings in the same price range? I'm partial to Warwicks, Fender, and Ibanez

7. I'm willing to go as high as 700 pounds (dont know what that is in dollers, sorry)

8. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    I owned one, sold it. It was a horrible bass.

9. Only

Only

Sep 8, 2002
    Warrensburg, MO
    For Ibanez, check out a BTB. Those are outstanding.