1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Anyone own/played this bass SX Ursa 2 Hum MN BK

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jessicabass, Sep 29, 2013.

1. jessicabass

jessicabass

Dec 22, 2009
    ohio
  2. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

I had the red version for a while. No complaints - very decent instrument, especially (the usual language when discussing SX) for the price. Neck felt good, solid tone, balanced well on a strap. The finish is awfully glossy, depending on whether you like that or not. Also, a very minor thing, but a single-coil jazz pickup emits a slight hum. On most jazz basses, there are two such pickups, and if you balance them the hum goes away for electrical reasons I won't pretend to understand. On this bass, the bridge pickup is a humbucker, not another single-coil, so there's no way to balance out the hum from the neck pickup (other than turning it down). It's very minor, and when you're playing you won't notice the hum at all, but that was the nearest thing to a "flaw" I could find with this bass. Really, it's well worth the money.

3. dabbler

dabbler

Aug 17, 2007
    Bowie, MD
  4. jessicabass

jessicabass

Dec 22, 2009
    ohio
    Thank you both for the info.
    The noise thing kind of worries me, never liked a jazz bass but wanted to try one out. I just love the look of the neck.

5. dabbler

dabbler

Aug 17, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    So to be noiseless, you can get a regular J, and as long as they are at the same level no issue. Or get the hum model, and when the hb is soloed it will be noiseless, and if you wire a switch to split it, like I did, then you can do the same thing you would do with a regular ss J and be noiseless ( note: only one of the coils will hum cancel, on mine it is the coil closest to the neck pup).

6. jessicabass

jessicabass

Dec 22, 2009
    ohio
    thank you sweetheart.

7. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

I wouldn't let it worry you. It's just the slight hum you get from any single-coil pickup. Try the bass out; Rondo is generous about returns if you don't like it.