Anyone Own These Two?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by cassanova, Jan 19, 2002.

1. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Stumbled across these but it doesnt list what techniques if any are covered in the videos. Im kinda peculiar when it comes to videos.

Anyway, if any of you out there own one or both of them, Can you please tell me what the running time of each are, and what techniques if any are covered in them. Or are they just live/studio jams of them playing there own songs?

Also if they do actually instruct, how well/detailed do they present the material?

mama cass

fwiw this is all it says about the vid's

Mark Egan - Bass Workshop
    Bass Extremes Live with Steve Bailey and Victor Wooten
  2. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    I don't own the first one, but I did receive Bass Extremes for Christmas last year, and it's a pretty entertaining video, if not extremely informative. Lemme explain the format and then I'll give my gripe.

The basic order of the video goes like this-

Live song featuring Wooten/Bailey
    Banter/explain techniques
    Live song

(I'm not sure of the running time because I didn't bring it home with me during break. I'll check when I go back to school Monday.) So, after each mind-blowing song, they go through the very basics of the techniques they used. They say right out that these are ADVANCED techniques, but they can all be done with a little practice. They only discuss theory one or two times, lauding the wonders of soloing with a pentatonic major scale. The rest of the time they explain tapping, double thumbing, triplet slapping, artificial harmonics, etc. They can get pretty vague sometimes, and Steve Bailey gets kind of annoying. (He just seems really cocky- I hear he's not in real life, but in the video you just want to smack him.)

Oh, and the section in the beginning where they help you tune: Top notch.